Anybody hip on West Germany preamp tubes?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by FrankieSixxxgun, Feb 25, 2009.

1. FrankieSixxxgun

FrankieSixxxgun Member

I got me a set of, "Pilot," branded 12AX7's from West Germany, ribbed plates, two notches on the outside of the plates, a small D notch at the ridge of the plate side, and the halo getter has two stems to it. I stuck one in V1 of my Marshall and it has a lot more open top end to it for sure, I kinda dig it! Can anybody tell me what it actually is? Siemen's? Telefunken? For what it's worth, the pair was $40 being sold as Holland tubes, but they sure as sh*t say West Germany on them. Here's a pic: http://i42.tinypic.com/b7yhhc.jpg.

2. FrankieSixxxgun

FrankieSixxxgun Member

I should add they get a filament flash when I fire them up cold.

3. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Not a great pic.

That said Im guessing a Siemens -part of the philips family of tubes. Look for an etch code near the base. These can be very faint. The code would start with this symbol if its a Siemens ≠ Bob

4. FrankieSixxxgun

FrankieSixxxgun Member

Best pic I can do with a cellphone. It appears to be a Siemens & Halske ECC83 tube based on the characteristics.

The one tube has an etching of:
    I62
    ≠2D

Can't even see an etching on the other tube, but looks internally identical.

5. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Yep Siemens made in Munich 1962. bob

6. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Look close with a mag glass on the second tube. The etch codes can be faint but with Philips tubes its significant to the ID. All philips short plates look virtually identical intenally with a couple exceptions. With the same branding chances are they are both Siemens though.

7. FrankieSixxxgun

FrankieSixxxgun Member

Hmmm, I can't make out an etching at all on the second tube, just two little black ticks where it probably used to be.

Sonically this tube is much more rounded than an honest Mullard. The Mullard is more in your face, a little harsher on the top end, and overdrives slightly more. The Siemens (or whatever it is) has smooth mids, a very soothing top end, and modest bass. They don't sound anything like the JAN Philips tubes I have either, which are kinda boomy, dark, and bluesy. I bet these Siemens deals sound excellent in my Vox AC30 where the high end is a bit much.

8. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Interesting sonic observations. Tube to tube things can vary. I find the Mullards to be smoother overall. I'll have to break out some of my Siemens again. Of all the Philips tubes I have(Valvo,Mullard Amperex,Siemens) the only ones I use are the Mullards. JAN Philips are not the same. Bob

9. FrankieSixxxgun

FrankieSixxxgun Member

The Mullards were definitely better overall, at least in the JMP50 circuit. Proper mids and boxy Marshall tone. The Siemens didn't sound Marshally.

Here's my thoughts on my current tubes and amps. Mullards in V1/V2 of the JMP50, Siemens in V1/V2 of the AC30, and stick some rebranded b-code "Made in Great Britain" tubes I have in the PI of both. I think that would give me the best tonal makeup between both amps.

I'll save the JAN Philips tubes for a Fender when I finally get my hands on one.

10. rockon1

rockon1 Member

AKA- Mullards Bob

11. FrankieSixxxgun

FrankieSixxxgun Member

Yeah, they just say "VOM" on the screening. I did the tubes are I said up there just now, the Vox has more Vox chime with the Siemens and the Metro Marshall is very much up on the Marshall tone now. I'm currently tone sated. ;)

12. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Just pointing out a Mullard is a Mullard no matter what the paint on them says. The B for Blackburn England is way more important to me than any paint! ;) Bob

13. FrankieSixxxgun

FrankieSixxxgun Member

Agreed! All 3 of those are I61, so 1961? The Mullard screened ones are I63.

14. Ginglymus

Ginglymus Member

If you can make out the number after the B for Blackburn that should give you the last digit of the year of manufacture. The I6 indicates a short plate 12AX7 and the 3 is a batch or version number.

15. FrankieSixxxgun

FrankieSixxxgun Member

I think I had B91 and B9H in there. Two of 'em were definitely B91's, I don't recall the other 3 and don't feel like pulling my amp apart again.

16. Ginglymus

Ginglymus Member

So those would be from '59, the first year for Mullard short plate 12AX7s.

17. rockon1

rockon1 Member

If they are I61 and B9- they are the very first short plates Mullard made in 1959. Mullard made long plates then short plates in 1959. Bob

Last edited: Feb 26, 2009
  18. FrankieSixxxgun

FrankieSixxxgun Member

That's awesome! I can't believe they still work after 50 years!

19. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Oh yeah . Ive got some super early GE black plates (Ken Rad) dated 1949 that still work fine and 100's of tubes from the 50's too. Bob