Anybody in a lounge band?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by tsar nicholas, Feb 22, 2012.

1. tsar nicholas

tsar nicholas Member

Hey guys!

So I'm thinking about extending this one-off smoove lounge thing that is happening Friday, and I'm curious about whether any of you cats are in lounge or "wallpaper music" bands. Like unobtrusive type of relaxed music designed to be in the background at restaurants, wine tastings, galleries, etc.

If so, what band format / material / marketing approach is working for you?

The details of my situation for Friday, for the curious, are :

- Gig is at a tech symposium, 90 minutes during cocktail hour / ice cream social networking thing

- Hastily-assembled pickup band format is : two guitars (both with male vocals), trap drums, bass, bongos (with female vocals)

- Our material is like fake jazz and slowed-down 60s R+B / funk

Last edited: Feb 22, 2012
  2. Ben R

Ben R Member

Sounds interesting.

If it's fun for you and they're paying you, I say, "Why not?"

Right now, I play a gig every Saturday night in the bar of a local restaurant. However, I'm playing classic rock, 80's, top 40, some country, and modern rock. It's a "one man band" solo act type of thing. I play lead and acoustic guitar live & sing vocals along with backing tracks for the rest of the band.

With most of the gigs around here that are similar to what you're describing, there's usually a dude on keys or piano and maybe a sax, or something. If you can get a crowd of people in that place who are into that sort of thing, those people tend to REALLY be into that type of performance.

Restaurant bar crowds can be interesting. You never know who you're going to get at any given gig.

Good luck with it, if you do it.

3. Peteyvee

Peteyvee Premium Platinum Member

I've done that before. We had a trio: guitar, bass and piano. Made some good money at it too. Fashion shows, gallery openings, wine tastings, fund-raisers, you name it. Well the fund-raisers don't pay, but you usually get a gig or two out of it if you're good...