Anybody into JUMBO FRETS?..

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by SteveGaines, Jul 24, 2008.

1. SteveGaines

SteveGaines Member

I have a 62 reissue Strat that I bough back in 1992..It has been my WAR HORSE guitar....Candle apple red...Lindy Fralin Pickups ...After all the years of bars...It looks like a RELIC...My good friend Tom Keckler who worked for Schecter guitars ( he built those tele copies that Pete Townsend played in Eminence Front http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URFbwUkBrjA way back in the early 80's...Worked for Strings and Things for years...And now is involved with St. Blues guitars in Memphis...I make the 1 hr. 20 minute drive about once a year to get a Set-up....Have been doing this for the last 20 years....Nothing like having a PRO SET UP MAN...This guy is buds with Jeff Beck, Clapton, Billy G. you name it...Great guy...anyway I take my guitar down yesterdy for it's YEARLY TUNE UP and he says"..."My man ..."IT"S TIME FOR A FRET JOB"...But instead of going back with the type fret that was on the guitar..He says.."Let me put some JUMBO FRETS on this baby...You will NOT BELIEVE the CONTROL you will have on this guitar...Your bends and vibrato will be off the charts...For a rock/blues player....JUMBO FRETS are the way to go...

Now..This is the guy who talked me into playing with 10's..instead of 9's...never had a problem with TUNING anymore...Talked me into putting 11's on a Paul ( shorter scale)...Never had a problem with that either...And I know ALL WILL BE WELL when he puts the JUMBOS on this guitar..I just wanted to ask some of you guys...What kind of difference did it make when you put jumbo frets on your Strat?...

Thanks..

Steve Gaines..

2. KBR

KBR Member

That's all I use.

3. jazzandmetal?

jazzandmetal? Supporting Member

I used 6100s. I love them. But I can deal with most frets. I just prefer 6100s.

4. MartinC

MartinC Member

I've got jumbo SS frets on a Suhr Classic. They do exactly what your buddy said.

5. pbradt

pbradt Senior Member

I'd never use them.

6. DonM

DonM Member

use -- .100 tall from stewmac here - slowly refreting all em here.
    [​IMG]

7. gerryguitar

gerryguitar Member

I love jumbo frets.. they just feel and sound better if you play hard... which is how a strat should be played... I say go for it...

8. matt5150

matt5150 Either U Know Or U Don't Supporting Member

6100's on everything, including my '63 Strat. It really makes a good thing better.

Matt

9. Ascension

Ascension Member

I won't own a guitar with anything smaller then 6105's but prefer the big 6100's. I have much better bending controll with Jumbos and believe it or not get less fret rattle on the wilder vibratos.

10. HoboMan

HoboMan Silver Supporting Member

I never though twice about frets until around 1992 when I had my 61 SG/Les Paul refretted. The frets were almost level with the fretboard.
    I simply asked for new frets and when I picked it up they told me they had put jumbo frets on it.

I absolutely LOVE them. Way more control over the strings. More precision playing. That was the only guitar I have ever had refretted but now I am thinking about having a Carvin refretted with Jumbos.

I've had a few G&L Legacys that come with Jumbo Frets. Fantastic playing guitars.

11. Troubleman

Troubleman Silver Supporting Member

I'm a 6100 fret wire man. My three fav Strats have 6100 wire. My Suhr Custom Classic has 6105 wire (nickel). I can't get use to vintage wire on Strats....(geh)...

jb

12. Vintage-tone

Vintage-tone Gold Supporting Member

I hate anything bigger than Vintage Fender frets !
    yet again, I refret 99% of my customers guitars with frets usually taller and wider than the vintage wire. 6105 are very popular and IMHO a very good wire, not too wide and not too tall and still give a " non shredder" feel to most combined with a 9'5 radius.
    . Extreme Jumbos can be very unpleasant past the 12th or 14th fret on a Fenderish neck, especially if they are very wide, it's getting pretty cramped up there ...
    If you stick to tall but not too wide frets, you always have the possibility to dress em and plain em if they are too tall.
    Most important is your choice of radius also and the % of nickel in your wire ( or steel wire frets ) .
    Keep in mind that the same 6105 on a 7.5' would feel totally different than on a 9.5" or flatter, not to mention custom Radius ...
    Very hard fret wire also does feel and sound very different, so do very "soft" frets.

13. Lucidology

Lucidology Member

Even if you don't play hard and have an extremely light touch as I do ,,,

Here's my '71' tele with jumbo frets ...

Moi's Shamelessly Wanking Santana Youtube

14. devilrob1979

devilrob1979 Member

Keep in mind that with jumbos you're going to have to learn to play with a soft touch. Muscling the strings will cause them to go out of tune. That said I love them. It's also nice having all of that wire to go through before a refret is required. I had my Strat refretted with jumbos (they were originally medium-jumbo) and I like 'em a lot. My Tele has 6105s which I also like. The Carvin's got jumbos as well. The nice thing about them is that if they don't work for you you can always have them ground down.

15. waylay00

waylay00 Member

I love jumbo frets. TK is great, but it's too bad Strings and Things isn't as great as it used to be. Chris's new shop downtown isn't much better. His wife said they were still getting stuff in, but I can see that it won't be much different. Too much of the same atmosphere as the old one.

Hope the refret goes well. How much does he charge for a refret?

16. KBR

KBR Member

Stevie Ray turned me onto 6100's back in 1982, I have never gone back to anything but the Big Dogs.
    I have a heavy attack, or can ease up, they are great for a Cat who lives on Vibrato and
    bending, that be me.
    I got a hand surgery for 20 years of using 11's on wimpy vintage frets and 7.25 radius, NEVER AGAIN!

17. XSSIVE

XSSIVE D'Avanzo Guitars Vendor

all i use are 6100s, everything else just feels wrong now.

-Mike

18. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

heck yeah! tall, for easy bending, effortless vibrato, and clean chording, + big & round, for increased sustain and reduced "railroad track" feel when sliding up and down.

19. karmadave

karmadave Member

One thing you can do is 6100's up to the 12 fret and 6105's after. It makes bending easier and will still leave more space, on the fretboard, above the 12th fret. Once you play a guitar, with Jumbo frets, it's really hard to go back to playing anything else.

-KD

20. SteveGaines

SteveGaines Member

Tom is only IN THE SHOP from 1 to 3:30 everyday at the new St. Blues Shop...he does alot of work ON THE ROAD for that company...But he still remains true blue to his customers .....And I have been a loyal one for over 20 years.....He left Strings and Things about 2 years ago...I am like you: that USED TO BE one of the coolest guitars shops in the world...But it went down hill when Chris and Charlie split up....

As far as the price goes...TK and I have done business for years ...So I figure whatever he charges will be more than fair and will be WELL WORTH THE MONEY... I called him back yesterday ....Got to take him the guitar about the middle of August....Said he would have it ready in a couple of weeks...And everything you guys are saying( Control,Bending,Vibrato,Less fret rattle)... Is exactly what he told me...Can't wait to get that baby back...:munch