Anybody know about PRS Pearl White?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Mayflower, Sep 6, 2006.

1. Mayflower

Mayflower Supporting Member

I have a 92 Standard 24 with Bird/gold/Brazilian and small neck heel that hasn't seen the light of day in some time.
    The birds in this guitar are very colorful and vibrant.
    Weight is average.
    I was thinking about it tonight and thought that I have seen very few in this color through the years.
    Was it kinda a rare finish?
    Tell me what you know or post some pics.
    Thanks-Wreck
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Dan Desy

Dan Desy Supporting Member

I believe Pearl white was somewhat common in the 80s. But it hasn't been available for a while. In fact, until the Dave Navarro model was introduced last year (offered only in Jet White), no white guitars were available from them.

What a beautiful finish! I think PRS are missing the boat by not offering colors like this anymore.

3. Calloway

Calloway Supporting Member

In highschool I had a Standard 24 in this color. It was the nicest guitar I had ever owned to that point, the color was awesome. The pickups sucked, they always would feedback really bad, in their defense, I used a lot of distortion at the time (100 watt marshall valve state) so that certainly had something to do with it. The tremolo on system on the guitar was a little unstable, everytime a string broke, the whole guitar would go really out of tune. I traded the guitar for a reissue bassman and was very happy with the whole deal. It was a killer guitar, but it was time for a tube amp, and so it was time to go.

4. eric102673

eric102673 Member

I've owned a few pearl white PRSi in my time. Dan's on the money about them being pretty standard fare in the 80s. Especially on Standards, Pearl White, Pearl Black, Electric Red and that medium-dark Electric Blue color were the backbone of the Standard color line at that time.
    It was the 80s. The age of hair metal and PRS was seemingly tring to court a certain aesthetic with those colors, just like the multifoil, crackle and "metal" finishes. At that point you didn't see as many natural or trans color finishes on the standards. My guess was they were tying to not look too 70s. Hey it was the 80's man. Gotta look more modern and futuristic. :)

-e.

5. uberpict

uberpict Member

Here's my pearl white Studio, sorry for the crappy pics from my DVR. The abalone birds really do match with the pearl white pretty well. Great pics of the Standard.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. paintguy

paintguy Long Hair Hippy Freak Silver Supporting Member

Being that BASF was the paint suppiler in the 90's, and Prs used BASF paints and clears back then, it only makes sense that it is a Lexus or similar car color.

BASF is a major automotive paint supplier, and sell paints to all the oem factories.

Safe to say it's a car color, and wouldn't be too hard to duplicate.

7. waxnsteel

waxnsteel Member

Man am I jealous!! I want one of eberything in that color! Great looking guitar.

8. goof1073

goof1073 Member

I've never seen a full pearl white PRS in person...

...but the white utilized on the Tremonti Tribals is pearl white and I like the effect it adds to my Tribal.

9. lbw

lbw Member

Just as a matter of correctness, unless it's some freak of nature, your '92 is not Brazillian. PRS stopped using Brazillian boards on standards in '90.

10. Luke

Luke Senior Member

I had a pearl white 1987, that I later sold for $900! What do you think it would fetch today?