• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Anybody know how to play the Janis Joplin version of summertime??

jake5

Silver Supporting Member
Hey guys, just started playing w/ this awesome female singer...and we wanna do summertime. I can't quite get it by ear. Anyone know the chord progression or got a tab they can post or email me?? can't really seem to find anything on the net. thanks guys.

jake

JonR

This is the verse sequence (from the version found on youtube):
Code:
|Gm Gm/F# |Gm/F Gm/E |C7  -  |F7  -  |
|Cm   -   |Cm   -    |Cm  -  |Cm  -  |
|D7   -   |Eb7   -   |D7  -  |D7  -  |
|Bb   -   |Gm   -    |Cm  -  |D7  -  |
|Gm   -   |F7   -    |Bb  -  |D7  -  |
The intro is the last 4 bars repeated 4 times.

IMO, not the greatest chord sequence for this song (of which there are MANY versions), but there ya go. :)
(The slash chords show the bass run-down, btw - no need to try playing those bass notes chords on guitar, just use a plain Gm chord.)

JonR

FWIW--the descending bassline can be played with the Cm chords too, ie:

Cm, CmM7, Cm7, Cm6
Very true. In fact it's more standard on the iv chord than on the tonic.
As I said, there are many better versions (IMHO) of the Summertime sequence than the one Joplin's band uses. They should be all over the web (if the OP is interested).

(Nothing wrong with Joplin's vocal of course. I just think she would have been better served by different chords.)

gennation

Man, I love Janis' version of this song. This is the version I grew up on, so hearing the standard was a bit different for me.

jake5

Silver Supporting Member
bump...anyone else got any input here. i'm basically just looking for all the chord changes.

Trending Topics