Anybody like the Ceriatone JCM 800 Clones?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by skhan007, May 25, 2008.

1. skhan007

skhan007 Supporting Member

Nik offers both the 2203 & 2204. I've heard great things about the other amps he makes/sells (Expression, Overtone, etc.). Just wondering if there are any JCM 800 Ceriatone owners out there who dig their amps and how they compare to the originals.

2. newking70

newking70 Member

3. ?&!

?&! Member

My buddy has the 50 watt Ceriatone 800 clone, and it sounds great. He put it in a white Mojo small box, and it looks fantastic, too!

4. Unabender

Unabender Member

Hmmm... Aren't the original JCM800's all built with PCB boards?

Why aren't Ceriatone's JCM800 clones then actually considered "better" than the originals since they are built using turret boards... which is the same as "PTP" here?

5. ?&!

?&! Member

I definitely think the Ceriatone is "better". It's an 800 circuit on a turret board with very nice components, and it's built on a Superlead chassis that will fit into an old school Marshall box. And it costs less than a new or vintage JCM800. It's a win/win/win!

6. skhan007

skhan007 Supporting Member

Based on what I've heard, I'll agree with all the points above, but I'm not so sure about the price issue. I think one could score a late 70's JMP 2204 or an early JCM 800 2204 for about the same or less money than the ceriatone. I just read on another thread here that people have scored JCM 800 2204's for like $550.

I'm trying to figure out if it's wiser to get 'the real deal' JCM 800 or to get the Ceriatone (PTP is cooler in my book- easier to repair etc.). Plus, there's the allure of choosing whatever box/tolex I want. BUT- the original is always a better purchase when considering the possibility of resale down the road. This is a tough one since they are priced comparably.

7. chillerthanmost

chillerthanmost Member

8. ?&!

?&! Member

If you find a vintage 800 for less than $1000, buy it!!! Those things have gone through the roof in the last few years. I used to score them in the early '90s for $350-$400 all day long. They are certainly great rock'n'roll amps. A real-deal JCM800 will most definitely have better resale than a Ceriatone, no question. I figure a Ceriatone 800, pimped with your choice of custom colored Marshall style head cab from Mojo or Splawn will run you about $1000, shipped. Either way, you're getting a killer amp. Good luck in your search!

9. bosstone

bosstone Member

The average price these days for a good, early 80s 2204 is a lot more like $1,000.00 and a really nice Canadian one sold for $1,599.00 on eBay recently.

There is nothing inherently better sounding about turret board construction and the real JCMs have an very good record for reliability. No one ever complains about the original Drake transformers that went in them.

10. devilrob1979

devilrob1979 Member

You're not adding into account the fact that a lot of the electrolytics are going to need to be changed along with other components that have gone out of spec over the 25 years or so since they were new. That $1000 amp from eBay could easily end up costing $1500 to get it fully up to speed.

stormtrooper likes this.
  11. dearmrdear

dearmrdear Member

Here's my brand new (3/08) Ceriaton 2204 with Splawn red head box. It's moded to Clay Finley specs (http://marshall.redpt.com/amps/) which makes it sound like a cross between a late 70's JMP and a JCM 800, very aggressive and thick but without the shrill JCM sound. YES the PTP board made it a breeze to swap out parts. Price and reliability was the reason I chose NiK's awesome work. There are good Marshalls floating around out there but this one is brand new and I don't feel guilty by ripping open it's guts and taking a soldering iron to it!
    I love my Readhead...
    [​IMG]

12. bosstone

bosstone Member

This whole electrolytics thing is completely overblown. I have had 20, 30 and 40 and even 50 year old amps with electrlytics that were still very quiet, within spec and not leaking. I had a 50s White amp (Forest White was a partner of Leo Fender) that hadn't been used for a few years. My tech almost insisted on replacing the electrolytics . I told him to bring it up slowly on his varic and I wold take the chance. I had no problems, the amp ran quietly and sounded beautiful. I know there are exceptions to this but I am not one of those who thinks every 20 year old amp needs a cap job. Even when they do and I have has a few changed, electrolytics are very cheap and usually take only 1 or 2 hours labor to replace.

BADHAK likes this.
  13. BADHAK

BADHAK Member

I've got a Ceriatone 2203 I've had for 6 or 7 years and it is a fantastic amp that has never missed a beat. Compared to my 79, 80, and 82 2203's it is a tiny bit bolder, tighter, and louder, as well as more bass (might be down to the EL34L's in this amp). The originals have a tad more sweetness in the treble and have more chirp on low strings. A little easier to solo up high.

I do slightly prefer the originals but the Ceriatone is a great choice for those who want an affordable new amp that will get them super close to the JMP /JCM 2203/4 tone.

The only issue I have with my particular amp is that it weighs a ton.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2017