Anybody losing their highs going thru the TTE?

shoelace

gl
This is the second TTE I owned and noticed this. When I hit the "bypass" switch it becomes obvious the TTE is eating a substantial amount of high end. This is especially noticeable when running various ODs thru it.
gl
gl

teXum

Yes, I've noticed the same thing. The tone gets more middy and compressed, going through the tube preamp in the TTE, even with the echo bypassed via footswitch (same thing with footswitch disconnected). Nothing strange, I guess, but at first I was a bit surprised at how much the tone changed, especially since I've read several reviews on how the TTE added highs, especially the earlier versions.

I've tried out different 12ax7s in the preamp, EH, JJ and Tung Sol, with the Tung Sol being the brightest, still the tone is considerable more middy/less highs and compressed than when the TTE is bypassed.

The jury is still out on how I like the preamp tone, it also varies with what amp I'm using, mainly whether it has a treble pot.

But overall the TTE, with echo engaged, sounds so beautiful that the loss of highs don't bother me much.

charmboy

I've noticed this to a degree as well, and as stated above, found it contrary to the majority of claims that it adds high end. It fattens and compresses the tone in a really nice way to my ears though.

Mad John

Agreed..some treble loss for sure, but in the ECHO DEPARTMENT: these go to eleven!

I have #71! :cool:

Fuchsaudio

Be advised, they also have an output which is not in phase with the input, so if you are running stereo, you'll need to address that.

modeerf

I too have noticed the loss of highs. And sounds very different bypassed via the switch as opposed to a footswitch. Can't complain too much though as the sweet delay is worth it IMO. could also try a looper.

Serious Poo

Powered by Coffee
Platinum Supporting Member
Um, the whole thing that makes tape delays so sought after for tone is that they have a very natural decay to the highs. That's kind of the point, otherwise you may want to go digital if you want pristine highs.

walterw

Platinum Supporting Member
Um, the whole thing that makes tape delays so sought after for tone is that they have a very natural decay to the highs. That's kind of the point, otherwise you may want to go digital if you want pristine highs.
i think folks are referring to a loss of highs in the original signal, not just the repeats.

charmboy

i think folks are referring to a loss of highs in the original signal, not just the repeats.
Yes, we are. It's the whole preamp, and when you use a pedal to switch the effect on/off you're still going through the preamp; as opposed to flipping the bypass switch on the unit, where you bypass everything.

Like I said, I really dig what the preamp does to my tone. I'd say it fattens things up nicely; #788 here.

shoelace

Thanks for the answers. i'm glad it was not just ME hearing it. Rather than dump treble back with the amp's controls i think I'm going to opt on getting a nice EQ. Thanks again :)

teXum

Yes, I've noticed the same thing. The tone gets more middy and compressed, going through the tube preamp in the TTE, even with the echo bypassed via footswitch (same thing with footswitch disconnected). Nothing strange, I guess, but at first I was a bit surprised at how much the tone changed, especially since I've read several reviews on how the TTE added highs, especially the earlier versions.

I've tried out different 12ax7s in the preamp, EH, JJ and Tung Sol, with the Tung Sol being the brightest, still the tone is considerable more middy/less highs and compressed than when the TTE is bypassed.

The jury is still out on how I like the preamp tone, it also varies with what amp I'm using, mainly whether it has a treble pot.

But overall the TTE, with echo engaged, sounds so beautiful that the loss of highs don't bother me much.
A little UPDATE: I was a bit fast when I said that the TTE is more middy and compressed when the preamp is engaged (at unity gain), even when the footswitch is disconnected.

In fact, with the footswitch disconnected, and after changing the preamp tube to a Tung Sol, the TTE is now just slightly, slightly more middy and compressed than the "True Bypassed" tone, without any worrying loss of highs, just leaving me with a bit more "tubey" guitar tone, simply beautiful.

However, with the footswitch connected, the tone, with preamp engaged, but no echos, is much more middy and compressed than the bypassed tone (via the little switch). So, at least in my case, it is mainly the footswitch that is the culprit for the loss of highs and compressed, middy tone. My appologies for posting my first post before doing a more thorough A/B test.

I notice that the Fulltone manual says that the quality and length of the footswitch cable will affect the volume and sound quality of the repeats, but apparently it also can affect the tone of the entire preamp.

Of course, doing some research always helps, seems like a lot of guys already have noted this about the TTE and switches:
https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/97042

My TTE now sounds beautiful with echo volume and repeats all the way to the left (CCW), without the footswitch, so I now need to shop for a better cable/footswitch. Anyone else done this, and have a recommendation?

Last edited:

charmboy

^ ^
Yes, I had a simple on/off switch built by loopmaster - no led or anything, just a small enclosure barely big enough to hold a footswitch (you can also option to have a bigger one with LED). Then I built myself a cable with leftovers from my Bill Lawrence cable kit. Works quite well.

teXum

^ ^
Yes, I had a simple on/off switch built by loopmaster - no led or anything, just a small enclosure barely big enough to hold a footswitch (you can also option to have a bigger one with LED). Then I built myself a cable with leftovers from my Bill Lawrence cable kit. Works quite well.
Thanks Charmboy, loopmaster should be a good option, see he has several options. How would you compare your tone going throught the TTE, with loopmaster switch and BL cable, and TTE bypassed?

mad dog

Gold Supporting Member
Might this same reasoning apply to other tape units, such as the RE-201 space echo?
MD

22Top

I'm looking at getting a TTE... and I'm just wondering why the length and quality of an on-off cable would affect the tone? Does audio signal pass through this?

zachman

gl
This is the second TTE I owned and noticed this. When I hit the "bypass" switch it becomes obvious the TTE is eating a substantial amount of high end. This is especially noticeable when running various ODs thru it.
gl
gl
Yup... That's why it mostly goes unused. I prefer other solutions

Trending Topics