Anybody messed with a Reselectric?

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by 62Tele, Oct 3, 2006.

1. 62Tele

62Tele Supporting Member

Since resos are on the menu I thought I'd throw something out.

I love the idea of a reselectric but haven't snagged one based on a couple of impressions I've had. While they sound great, they 1) don't floor me with the highlander sound and 2) don't realy nail a "great" electric guitar tone for my ears.

Anybody tried; - different pickups for the biscuit/cone?
    - mechanical mods to alter the tone/character?
    - different neck pickups?
    - any processing tricks?

Just curious

2. thesedaze

thesedaze Member

Is this for a particular model reselectric, or just the concept in general? I've never been pleased with the cheapy models I've played on the GC showfloor, but absolutely love the unique thing that Siegmund has going w/ his. You can run it in stereo or mono.

3. drolling

drolling Member

Please tell us more! Can this system be retrofit to any reso w/a minimum amount of modification?

If I really want to capture the tone of my resonators, I use a couple of mics, but this is totally impractical for everything but recording.

I've got a new Resolectric on the way - someone here mentioned that the P-90 hums pretty loud. Not surprised, the dog-ear on my old ES-125's got the worst buzz I've heard.

I'll give a full report once I've got the guitar in my hands..

4. thesedaze

thesedaze Member

I'm pretty sure the uniqueness of his resolectric guitar is not only in the pickup system, but also the construction of the guitar itself and how he mounts the cone.

Get the scoop here

edit: Ah I see that this is in regard to the National brand model. The first thing you need to get rid of is that under the saddle system. Those things are already too 'tinny' on standard acoustics, let alone on one built with metal. Chris uses some sort of EV microphone, not sure which, but if you switched the highlander out for something like one of the K&K internal mics, that would seem to work a bit better for you.

You don't need a very hot pickup for the neck, I'm not sure what those stock ones rate at, but you only need around 4-5k ohm's.

5. Tonefish

Tonefish Member

I have an old National Resolectric. It is definitely a somewhat unique sound. I have not played it in awhile, but I will always keep it for its uniqueness. I was messing with slide at the time and it's nice for that. I needed to raise the bridge a bit and played with different materials aroung the base of the cone to provide the lift. It was awhile back but I don't recall that excercise being very rewarding. I'd bet if you got one though you would also always like it for its uniqueness, but it's not going to be either a great electric guitar or a great resonator...it is its own thing and still a cool sound.

I remeber awhile back that Joe Perry played one on a commericial. It sounded phenomenal (as you would expect).

I don't know if that helped but it was free.

6. drolling

drolling Member

Thanks for the link, thesedaze!

I've heard good things about Siegmund's microtube pedals, but I never realized that he's also a luthier & an amp builder as well.

At first glance, his take on a reso looked hideous to me, w/that exaggerated 'coke-bottle' body shape - but then I realized he's coming from a 'Weissenborn" slide guitar type perspective. Even the wood choices reinforce the Hawiian vibe he's got going.. Very, very cool!

7. thesedaze

thesedaze Member

Yah, he actually was doing the guitar thing before the electronics, and will be going back to doing more custom string instruments next year.

I don't see the Hawaiian thing. Looks to me like he took his acoustic and electric archtop designs and regenerated them into a flat top reso build.

It plays wonderfully, though. I've played it a bit through his Diamond amp and cab.

I can honestly say his amps are the best and most flexible I've ever played through. I've got the Midnight Bluesbreaker Octal Custom head, and I don't see myself ever getting another amp...except for perhaps a Midnight Special. It's THAT flexible. Takes any power tubes, any rectifier tubes, nearly any preamp tubes w/ the octal->9pin convertor socket he made me. I've got the low powered tranny, but he offers them in 3 or 4 varieties. This thing has beautiful headroom for days, especially w/ the new master volume mod, but at 35w or so, the breakup is beautiful. Love the effects loop and bias controls. You can even bias the v1 preamp tube!

The onboard reverb in his Midnight Special 1x12 combo amps is beautiful as well. Transformerless design....unlike any other onboard reverb i've ever heard. That amp has insane amounts of flexibility too. Can go from a 5w 6L6 slide screamer to a prestine 15w 6550 jazz amp with the change of a tube or two.

Those Midnight Specials come up here one in a while...I highly recommend checking them out. Particularly the field coil speaker option...

His designs are all fresh takes on old classics and old technology that all too often gets thrown away in favor of some new gadget or fad.

8. drolling

drolling Member

I realize we're in the 'acoustic' room here, but I just have to say that amp of yours sounds very nice. Mine are all old point-to-point single channel - gorgeous cleans, but you gotta really hit it HARD to get some distortion w/o boosters, attenuators or OD pedals.

I could really use the kind of flexibility you've described..

Thanks for the heads up!!

9. thesedaze

thesedaze Member

Hey it all applies, because I run acoustics through the amp too ;)

10. 62Tele

62Tele Supporting Member

If I picked one if these up the P90 would get replaced with a TV Jones Filtertron. He does these in a soapbar cover now and I've been REALLY happy with both the Powertrons and Filtertron Classics for slide. P90's are great, but the noise gets old fast and the open sound of the Filtertrons for my ears is more versatile, especially playing with fingers.

I'm wondering if a carbon fiber biscuit (more sustain?), the Filtertron in the neck and a different pickup for the cone might do it. All that being said, the two best pickups I've had on my steel Nationals have been the Tricone pickup by Highlander (a completely different animal than the biscuit, amazing, but unfortunately specific to tricones) and the current Lace/National collaboration stick on magnetic (which retains the reso character more than I expected).

Maybe a reso junior with the stick on pickup at the neck?

11. drolling

drolling Member

Good to know about TV's "stealth" humbuckers in disguise. Thanks for the tip!

I've got TV Classics in my Gretsch hollowbody, and I'm really impressed w/their bright, chimey tone. I can imagine how well they'd suit a resophonic guitar.

As far as bridge saddle materials go, I made one from a bone blank for my Regal reso. Cut a bit of bass & lower mids, but made the notes just jump out of the guitar. A cheap & easily reversible mod that was well worth doing.

That guitar also has a home-made piezo p-up puttied to the cone - needs to be pre-amped & EQ'd, but it captures the naunces of reso tone better than many hi-end acoustic pickups I've heard & it only cost about 5 bucks for the materials.