Anybody NOT like Dimarzio Area pickups...

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by jamison162, Jun 16, 2008.

1. jamison162

jamison162 Supporting Member

I'm just curious since most of the talk around here on these is positive. Anybody not like them, if so why? I recently installed a set of 58/58/61's in a customers strat and I thought they sounded kinda plasticy and fake, the 61 is pretty thin sounding. Don't know if it's the pickups or the guitar....or just me.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2008
  2. Shredcow

Shredcow Member

Me. :D

Rather, its just a preference... sounds too tight and thin for my tastes.

3. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

Well you know how Strats are...some pickups just don't work in some guitars...

4. drgonzoguitar

drgonzoguitar Member

5. carbz

carbz Supporting Member

Most of the guys that don't like em are the ones that just flat out just like the traditional single coils. I think they sound real nice for the most part. The 61 is a little thin/bright to my ear but hey its in the bridge position. I play with a decent amount of drive most of the time and the 60 cycle hum is way to annoying for me to use traditional single coils. Do they sound fake? Not sure what fake sounds like....... The question should be how do they compare to any other noiseless single coils out there?

6. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

I don't think they sound plasticy or fake at all:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmHyWn_O-ag
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OH5aGnFINS4

7. Darth Tater

Darth Tater Supporting Member

Don't forget to install 500k pots with them, otherwise they will not sound their best.

8. jamison162

Honestly he has another Amer Std. with the Samarian Cobalt noiseless and it sounds much better. Totally different guitar though.

9. jamison162

I thought that was a myth or the old VV series?

10. JimmyD

JimmyD Member

The guy I bought mine from didn't care for them, but i seem too.

Jim

11. jzucker

man, you and I have different tastes I guess. I assume you listened to the clips I posted? While I don't claim they sound exactly like vintage pickups, they are 90% there. The SCN pickups aren't even in the same ballpark. They are very bright and shrill IMO. You can't get anything like a vintage strat sound out of them.

12. jzucker

That is not correct.

13. doveman

doveman Member

I was disappointed ...

The 58-58-61 has a sort of "zing" in the tone that just sounds and feels weird. I hear the "zing" it in many of the posted clips now that I've actually played them. Also, while the 1-3-5 are noiseless, I feel like the 2-4 slots lose something from the "doubling effect" in the noiseless coils ... offset within the coils and between the coils.

They are quiet but I don't think it's for me ...

14. jamison162

15. jzucker

As I said, they are not 100% equivalent to the single coils. The real single coils have an added sweetness that is missing but IMO the dimarzios make up for it by being noiseless *AND* by having tones that you can't get out of single coils. For example, the bridge pickups blows away the SP43 fralin. Sounds more like a vintage strat pickup IMO and smoother than the SP43 when overdriven. I think recorded better nobody would ever know the difference including the cork-sniffers. There is no difference in feel to me either. The vintage pickups do have that extra jimi thang going on but you can still more than make up for it with the area pickups. I'll bet jimi would use them if he were around. ;)

16. jzucker

by the way, the 61 is *NOT* thin sounding at all. It's fatter than the fralin VH pickups but not quite as hot as a SP43 but IMO sounds more like a vintage strat pickup than the SP43.

17. jamison162

I was just noticing that tonight as I have the guitar here to trouble shoot the volume pot taper.

I was playing through some od pedals and kept hearing this weird woofy zing kinda thing going on. I thought it was fret buzz or cone cry or something. Doesn't do it totally clean or with my other guitars, just this one.

The noiseless thing just doesn't appeal to me. I've found them no less noisy (or my very well shielded Grosh any louder) under the same lighting conditions really.

18. doveman

doveman Member

Well ... I'm no cork sniffer and I really wanted to like them ... for me they are missing something. They do have some other tones in them that are nice ... that's true. They are quiet ... I really wanted to like them.

I may put them in again and keep playing around with them. I might try to swap the '58s for dimarzio's '67s ... maybe they would sound/feel different since they are designed with a little more high end.

19. duckbunny

duckbunny Member

I tend to take these things on their own merit.
    I have come to the realization that it is very often down to pickups in each particular guitar. I heard that DiMarzio combo in two different guitar, next to each other, both maple neck USA strats. One sounded great, the other just so-so.

So in my universe, it is OK for me to spend as much money as I have trying different pickups. :AOK

-db

20. jamison162

Lot's of choices out there. Every strat I've ever played (except for HSS's) had a weak and thin bridge pickup, which I guess is vintage. Unuseable for me. On the other hand I happen to love the SP43 and have another Grosh on order spec'd with a SP42. Best bridge SC I've ever heard, but they're not vintage sounding by any means.