Anybody NOT Like Football or Sports in General?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Der JD, Jan 23, 2015.

1. Der JD

Der JD Member

There sure are a lot of football threads in this forum.

Watching football or just about any sport, whether it be live or on TV, I find to be just an absolutely painful experience. I just can't stand it. To me, there is little that could be more boring or annoying. I've never watched a Superbowl, participated in the daily sports talk at work amongst the guys, bet on sports...the list goes on and on. Actually, I find basketball to be even worse. The only sports I can even moderately tolerate are baseball and hockey. Luckily, this is one thing that my wife loves me for!

No offense to sports fans. :) Just curious...am I a complete anomaly?

2. pickaguitar

pickaguitar 2011 TGP Silver Medalist Silver Supporting Member

I think the love for sports depends if one played them as a kid. I played many sports when I was younger so today I love to keep up with them...(football, baseball, golf, tennis, x games, track, etc)

Last edited: Jan 23, 2015
  3. snarkle

snarkle Member

I have a vestigial interest in hockey, having once been the world's worst goalie, but only to the extent that I listen to Canucks games in the radio while I'm reading or cooking or playing the guitar.

Other sports? I'd rather watch paint dry than pay any attention to football, soccer, or baseball.

Since one of the reasons I find hockey mildly interesting is that it involves at least a little bit of improvisation, you'd think I might be able to spare some time for basketball, but it's never done anything for me either.

Anyway, you're not alone!

4. lowbrow

lowbrow Member

Same here. I can watch some baseball and F-1 and that's it. Oddly enough, I'll happily sit and watch most olympic events without issue.

5. Nevets

Nevets Supporting Member

I've no interest in any sports or televised sports, but watching a game live is always fun. I can't stand the constant nattering of the announcers. I think it comes from growing up in a hockey obsessed family and being forced into hockey lessons at an early age. My whole family are sports superfans...I'm the black sheep!

6. figgy

figgy Member

You're the smart one. It's a waste of time. All these "fans" think they "win" when the team wins. I've never gotten a check or trophy from the Steelers, but I've watched them for 45 years. I have many shirts and pajamas and gloves and jackets with Steelers name on it, but the Steelers aren't wearing any "figgy" shirts.

7. apalazzolo

apalazzolo Supporting Member

8. GAD

GAD Wubbalubbadubdub Silver Supporting Member

Not a fan at all. Bread and circuses.

9. Glowing Tubes

Glowing Tubes Gold Supporting Member

:agree
    Thats me too. Except i have watched a few superbowl games just because it was a party i was invited to. Strikes me as the most mind numbing useless waste of time to sit and watch a football game. Thats just me though.

10. jeffm725

jeffm725 Member

I hate Football with a passion. College football the most, but I dont like Pro football either.

I LOVE Hockey at all levels and I LOVE College Basketball.

Im not a big NBA Fan.

Im a decent Baseball fan.

Hate football.

11. jamess

jamess Silver Supporting Member

Many of my friends are big sports fan, they know endless stats and watch games of all kinds regularly. I watch at least parts of a couple football games in a season just to kick back with a beer, plus we watch the Superbowl for the commercials and because it's nearly a national holiday. Why not? It's fun. But that is the only sports related viewing in my family. Oh, and parts of the Olympics too. And some tennis when my mother-in-law visits.

12. Matt Jones

Matt Jones Supporting Member

I don't care for it at all. I have friends who get depressed for days when "our" team loses. Living in San Diego I'm beginning to think these guys should have clinical depression by now.

13. DYNA BILL

DYNA BILL Member

Motorsports for me.

14. FlackBase

FlackBase Felonious Monkey Gold Supporting Member

Smells kinda like a fish factory in here...

15. MKB

MKB Silver Supporting Member

I have zero interest in almost all sports. However I figured out what happened; there is some sort of DNA or gene that gets men passionate about sports. I have that gene, but it was short circuited and now responds to politics in the way others react to sports.

16. snarkle

snarkle Member

I'll add that I'm actually organizing a Superb Owl Sunday expedition to the local bird sanctuary on February 1. I'd much rather be outside watching birds than inside watching TV!

17. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

me too, and proudly out of the closet about it.

18. A-Bone

A-Bone Montonero, MOY, Multitudes Gold Supporting Member

But how do you feel about bread? How about the circus?

19. Drawde

Drawde Member

I have zero interest in any sport. I actually played hockey for many years from about 10-18 years old. As a kid I watched hockey from time to time, but even then wasn't all that into the watching part.

Guys at work still walk in all the time talking about whichever football game was on last night, asking if I saw so and so do this or that, even though I've many times said I don't watch football. I guess sports guys assume every guy likes sports.

20. MollyPolly

MollyPolly Senior Member

I enjoy watching sports at the highest level for probably the same reason most people are drawn to them.

I read an essay a few years ago on this topic, and the gist of is was that there is something irresistible about watching elite athletes because they can control their bodies in ways ordinary humans cannot, and the very best of them--Jordan, Federer, Brady ;), Woods--seem to actually defy physics. Defying the laws of physics is super-natural, which by definition is god-like.

So, not to get into forbidden territory, but there is something religious about watching elite athletes perform.

Anyway, my biggest problem with sports is the US is the way they've been tailored to commercial TV. It's just gone too far IMHO.

This is why the Masters is, IMHO, the greatest televised sporting event of the year. 56 minutes of every hour is pure coverage.