• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Anybody NOT like the Zendrive?

Shnook

Silver Supporting Member
I had one briefly. Didn't care for it at all. Really thin sounding and picked up radio stations pretty bad. I also had a Mosferatu before the Zendrive. Didn't like that one either. Maybe Alf's pedals just aren't for me. :hide2

Flyin' Brian

Silver Supporting Member
It's very colored, and it's not supposed to "transparent" whatever that means.

I think it has many different sounds in it, but I'm not in the group who don't like it.

But seriously, PM me if this upsets your thread and I'll delete this post.

jboyjams

I can't speak for the OP but I am interested in all opinions since I don't have experience with Dumble amps or the Zen - but it's on my list of things I should look into - since it has a good reputation for the most part.

Last edited:

HCarlH

I have one...i'm still working on it. A couple of the knobs are very interactive so it takes a bit of work to dial in a tone.

Other factors which determine the sound are type of amp and if the amp is cranked more than a clean amp. I think it would really shine with an amp with hot running power tubes and an attenuator if necessary.
It's not a quick set and play pedal.

rhinocaster

Gold Supporting Member
I thought the pedal sounded ill defined. Kinda mushy rather than thick and juicy. I just don't relate to the sound that the Zendrive is going for though. I don't care for the Menatone Howie either.

Jeff Gehring

Gold Supporting Member
Had a Zendrive for a few months; it never really did it for me--as opposed to my Eternity burst, which put a smile on my face practically on first power-up. The Zendrive I had never sounded at all like what I was hoping it would (based on others clips and videos).

boldaslove1977

Gold Supporting Member
i've had one on my board for a while...

i like it... but my keeley ts-808 gets probably 90% of the leads. the zen sounds good... but i find it doesn't sound as big as the 808... and doesn't cut through the mix nearly as well.

that being said... i still use it on a couple solos a night to mix it up... usually the songs where the rest of the band isn't quite as loud...

i also tend to step on it more if i'm playing a humbucker guitar that night...

mc2

I echo most of the posts above. I couldn't really dial it in and I thought it was mushy too. I also had an issue with radio interference with 2 separate amps in 2 separate locations. I jam in the same locations and never had that with other pedals and new cables. I listen to clips and want that sound, but my hands just can't deliver. I'm looking into the nu-valve though...

dsw67

I had both the Zen and Zen II, neither really did it for me. Nothing against them though, they were quality pedals.

My favorite OD thus far is the Maxon OD-820. I recently bought an xotic BB preamp that I like as well.

boldaslove1977

Gold Supporting Member
I listen to clips and want that sound, but my hands just can't deliver.
+1.

one night my rig was making a funny noise.... the bar manager where we were that night can play... so he was playing while i was trouble-shooting. he's not a great player, not awful either... but that's not what mattered... has a very different touch than me. and when he stepped on my zendrive... holy crap it sounded great.... i can't get it to sound like that.

maybe some hands are cut out for that pedal, and some aren't? although i guess you could say that about a ton of pedals... but the zen seems to be extremely touch-sensitive.

M

Member 995

Some overdrive pedals have a trait that really bugs me: the louder you play, the more clean sound comes through. Tubescreamers do it, the Fulldrive 2 does it when the compressor is in the circuit, and the Zendrive did it. I have a pretty dynamic right hand and the last thing that I want when I'm trying to play louder is for the sound to get cleaner. I sold my Zendrive pretty soon after getting it because of that. I was on 'the list' for six months or a year, too.

sekt88

Las Cucarachas Entran Pero No Pueden Salir!
Keep em coming. I thought the honeymoon was over for me when I posed this question-I was struggling for about two hours to get something other than mush. I know what I am doing so it is not that I am a neophyte. Compared to my BB Custom, it was a real loser. It has a fizz that I really don´t like. So far the only way I can get great sounds out of it is with the gain no more than 10 o´clock. Here the voice and tone drive everything. I will give it another gig tonight, otherwise an EP into a BB blows the Zen out of the water for my needs. BTW-my guitar is a tele with OC duff pups which are low output, hence the EP.

radioboy950

I had one for a few months.
As far as I'm concerned, it's designed for a particular style of music and playing...but it does that style very well.
Don't expect to step on the switch and hear a crunchy, rock overdrive.
It colors, big time.
It sounds best when set to low-med gain through a loud, clean amp, using humbuckers.
Again, I thought it did that nasally, compressed, fusion kinda thing, really well.
If I loved it though, I guess I'd still have it.
Wampler's Ecstasy Drive could take you into this same territory, with more versatility.

BrianWampler

Judging by descriptions, it sounds like those who don't like it just simply don't like that dumble-y sort of sound. Alot of dumble-esque clones (and fender amps when cranked in general) kind of have a fuzz 'roundness' to them as well as get a bit mushy. They are not the same kind of crunch that you would find on something like a jcm800. There is some compression there.

BurgundyMist

I had a Zendrive 2, and I thought it always had too much compression no matter what the settings were. And I usually like some compression, but it was too much.

radioboy950

Judging by descriptions, it sounds like those who don't like it just simply don't like that dumble-y sort of sound. Alot of dumble-esque clones (and fender amps when cranked in general) kind of have a fuzz 'roundness' to them as well as get a bit mushy. They are not the same kind of crunch that you would find on something like a jcm800. There is some compression there.
Exactly, Brian.
Thanks for chiming in.
That pedal is high quality and delivers as promised.
Either you gravitate toward that tone, or you don't.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom