Anybody Not pleased with their Moog Murf 105?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by MinuteMan, Mar 15, 2006.

1. MinuteMan

MinuteMan Member

If you have one or had one, I am curious why you were disappointed.

I am very tempted...

2. dotlikeimpact

dotlikeimpact Member

bump for the exact same reason.

3. Bryan T

Bryan T Guitar Owner Silver Supporting Member

I'm curious to hear what people have to say, too. I have a few Moog pedals (low pass and ring mod), as well as the control voltage processor. I'm tempted by the MuRF, but wonder if it would lose its novelty quicker than the other pedals. I had a Z Vex Ooh Wah for a time and ultimately got bored with it due to the limited flexibility. While the MuRF is definitely more flexible, it still only has the 24 fixed patterns. I realize you can do a lot with those patterns by changing the envelope, tempo, and slider settings, but it seems like a pretty specialized effect.

I'm also curious if anyone prefers the Bass MuRF to the regular MuRF.

Bryan

4. bren

bren Guest

To be honest, the ring mod lost its novelty fairly quickly for me - just couldn't find many necessary applications for it. But the Murf is a different story. From trem to phaser to wah to primitive sequencer to indescribable uniqueness, it's more versatile than I imagined. Yes, there are a limited number of patterns, but you can take certain frequencies (steps) away to create lots of variations. The adjustable envelope is another huge variable, and I found myself adjusting the mix a lot - sometimes the Murf's effects are nice as background decoration, and sometimes you want it to be the sole sound.

I think any guitarist who uses the Murf indiscriminately more than once a night deserves hisses and thrown debris, but if you spend enough time exploring various settings, you can come up with a few completely different effects and won't sound like you're repeating yourself. (Or falling on a gimmick.)

5. MinuteMan

MinuteMan Member

Either everyone must be delighted or very few have one...

6. Occam

Occam Member

The only negative thing I'd have to say about mine is a necessary evil in my mind...it's almost too tweakable and once you find a sound you like you have to write everything down so you don't screw it up. The pay off though is huge because this pedal is capable of some amazing tones that sound like nothing else. I recently wrote a song based solely upon the tones I've gotten from my MuRF. I'm not super interested in too many of the other Moog pedals...the phaser seems cool and I already have an echoplex so the delay doesn't really interest me. Ring mod's are cool for textural stuff like with an ebow, volume pedal and delay.

7. Thor

Thor Member

I have also been very tempted by the MuRF. My friend at Makin' Music reports that the MuRF was too sublte for him. He does say that he was more impressed by the Bass MuRF. He's a die hard fan of the Moog ring mod, but the MuRF just didn't do it for him. $400 is a good chunck-o-change.

I am also curious about peoples' experience with using the expression pedal with the MuRF/bass MuRF.

Thanks

Ed

8. drolling

drolling Member

I've had the MF-102 for years, and you've got to be creative to keep an unconventional effect like this one useful - I use the carrier out for theramin tones & run a drum machine into the carrier input to chop up the instrument output. The LFO's a cool tremolo, too. I lost interest in the primary function itself (ring modulation) a long time ago.

I'd like to hear some clips of the MuRPH in action. Anyone know where I could find some?

9. Bryan T

Bryan T Guitar Owner Silver Supporting Member

www.moogmusic.com

Bryan

10. forgivenman

forgivenman Supporting Member

I thought I'd resurrect this thread because I love my MuRF! Having said that, once I finally got an expression pedal for it, I plugged into all the different inputs and found it to be the most useful (to me at least) when controlling the speed. However, I think using it to control the envelop would be cool too. So, as usual, I'm divided and will probably end up spending more money buying another pedal. :worried

11. strata189

strata189 Member

I have a bass murf. At first I thought it was a little dinky, but after I got into it, it opened up very nicely. I have 4 moog pedals and a cp-251 (as well as other analog stuff)- so there's a world of experimentation there.
    I got my murf for $265 from someone who tried it once.....

Randall