Anybody own a AMT Electronics pedal?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by MusicGearGuys, Nov 7, 2005.

1. MusicGearGuys

MusicGearGuys Member

What are your thoughts guys?
    Gregory

2. carltonh

carltonh Member

Bump for curiosity. Most of the HC reviews read suspiciously similar like they were all written by someone with English as a second language.

I only see one or two people at the TGP that seem to have tried them.

3. ericb

ericb Silver Supporting Member

I've had the Extreme Distortion by AMT for years. It's a great pedal . I own loads of pedals and like many types. The Extreme is another variation of a Rat Pedal , or the TeaserStallion distortion by Catalinbread. IT's a quality pedal.. BUT it's a heavy distortion pedal and not a pedal lots of guys on this forum would love probably . I'm sure they have other quality pedals too . GOOD LUCK! ERIC

4. jtkung

jtkung Member

The AMT California is a great pedal, but not for everyone. If you like the sound AND production of Dream Theater's CD, "Images & Words" then you will absolutely love it. It's great for shredding. If you play a Tele into a Fender amp and like blues and twang, a lot of the AMT line is definitely not for you! :nono

J

5. DocRock

DocRock Supporting Member

Looks like a few of us are doing similar searches. :)

These AMT pedals look like they're the ****. Are the cab simulators bypassable? What I mean is, can they be used as stompboxes into amps, or are these "studio tools?"

6. gearboy

gearboy Member

I owned an Extreme III, Fatal Tube, and Distortion Station, and wish I had kept the DS. They were all good heavy pedals......the DS is pretty much like the Sansamp GT2. Tiny, metal casings, good switches. They only thing they lacked was alot of output....they could have used a little more oomph. They gave a soft, amp-like gain and alot of if.

7. jtkung

jtkung Member

The combo emulator output is not bypassable, so you will have to fiddle a bit with the EQ on your amp. However, the cab sim output doesn't cut as much treble as say the Behringer Ultra G100 cab sim, so the AMT is still flexible for both recording and live.

J

8. Jungleman

Jungleman Member

I've got the AMT British Sound. And english is not my native language.

It's Marshally enough for me, it has nice eq range and it's surprisingly dynamic. Nowadays I use it mainly for bass, as it doesn't lose any low end punch.

The build quality is ok, not great. The switch doesn't feel particularly heavy-duty, pot shafts are plastic, casing seems strong. It seems all parts (jacks, pots, switch) are pcb-mounted (I didn't open the casing, tried to but gave up in fear of not getting it reassembled).

I bought it maybe 4 years ago in St.Petersburg (Russia, that is). I have no idea if the current models are of higher quality.

9. HBob

HBob Member

I have the British Sound too. Keeping the bass and treble controls around the 9 o'clock area sounds best to me. There is a lot of bass and treble sizzle available if you want it. The gain control has a pretty limited range. It has a good atriculate attack. Responds well to getting hit by another pedal. One of the best sounding distortion pedals I have for my JC-120. Not really the pedal you want if you're looking for a transparent tone. I think it sounds a lot like some of the sounds available from the Hyde side of the Visual Sound Jekyll and Hyde but the British Sound bypass sounds better with my gear.