• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Anybody own a GJ2 Guitar?

milli vanilli

I played a couple of them at a shop by the house. FANTASTIC GUITARS! Played a Glendora hard tail... very well built, resonant, a lot of attention to detail. 22 fret unfinished bolt on neck with pickguard. Played at Arete 5 star with a floyd. no pick guard, not sure of the wood on that particular one, ebony board. Holeeeee crap that thing is so nice it basically played itself. The Glendora at like 1500 bucks is a downright steal, and the arete 5 star is a couple grand (or more depending on options), and is one of the very few guitars that I think are actually worth that price. I looked at a Concorde 5 star (rhoads) and didn't dare touch it for fear that I would finance it, leading to the demise of my marriage LOL...

Basically, I'd compare the Glendora to the Charvel custom shop and the arete and concorde to the jackson master builds... which makes sense: Grover Jackson (the builder and owner) was responsible for both jackson-charvel during the heyday. I emailed with a question about a used one (making sure it was legit) and the other owner (John Gold, previously from Fender) got back to me himself right away and was SUPER helpful and friendly.. several emails back and forth... and he had zero to gain because I was buying used. As soon as I can muster enough dough I'm getting a GJ2 for sure... They are ALL custom guitars at this point, which is really nice. You can get pretty much whatever you want... not sure about build times, but a lot of dealers have pretty awesome stuff in stock already... 1500 for a bolt on superstrat built by the dude that started the superstrat revolution? Yeah. Count me in!:rockin

jimshine

I haven't had a chance yet, but everything I hear is positive. Grover has an insane attention to detail. I can go on and on about all the things he did with the Charvel Jackson brand from '78-86 that was aimed at improving the fit and finish of the guitars. He has had decades more time to improve, so I am sure the best stuff being built under his watch is now.

I've checked them out at Namm and are very nice guitars. The only thing I didn't care for was the logo on the head stock. That is what probably turned me off from them. If the cosmetics on a guitar don't do it for me, even if the guitar sounds perfect to my ears and plays well. I can never get past the cosmetics if I don't like them.

milli vanilli

Logo makes sense though, it's a play on words... Grover Jackson and John Gold, both G and J... plus its Grover's second time around. And he can't sign his last name or "jackson" would be suing....jackson. LOL

SlumFrog

I haven't had a chance yet, but everything I hear is positive. Grover has an insane attention to detail. I can go on and on about all the things he did with the Charvel Jackson brand from '78-86 that was aimed at improving the fit and finish of the guitars. He has had decades more time to improve, so I am sure the best stuff being built under his watch is now.
Yeah Grover is a legend. I really want to play one, being a huge Jackson/Charvel fan. Everything you guys are saying sounds like they are for real, especially if they are better then the Jacksons/Charvels he's built in years past! How long has he been producing GJ2 guitars? Anybody know? Ive only heard about them within the last year. They made in Cali?

Top Bottom