Anybody own or try out the Epi ES-295?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Angry Old Man, Feb 20, 2012.

1. Angry Old Man

Angry Old Man Member

Had a 55' 295 and wish I had it back....thought about buying a Epi es-295 in the mean time.

How are they?
    Feel(neck)...sound...tone...etc???

Looks like I could grab one for around $600 which is very doable. Are they worth it.

Fit for the Blues?(got to be it has P-90s, right?)

2. Angry Old Man

Angry Old Man Member

btw: I would of owned one years ago but I hate the Bigsby on one.

Is there any tail piece that does a decent job of covering it up(holes)?

Anyway to semi-hide the holes so they are not so obvious?

3. Bigsby

Bigsby Member

a guitar repairman once told me that he would mix printer's ink with epoxy to get the right color, and fill body holes that way. Never tried it myself. I suppose you could experiment without applying it to the guitar in order to figure out the right mix.

4. Angry Old Man

Angry Old Man Member

Excuss me if this is brash, but maybe I should not have checked youtube.

Does cheap(er) guitar always mean cheap(er) amp.

I swear not only could none of the 10 players I listen to play, but I thought they sounded terrible.

No high end, muddy mids

Jezze I hope I can drop decent pick ups in and add a decent amp.....

Maybe the guitars are just uncool and only uncool players buy them?

Somebody set me straight

:(

5. Joe L

Joe L Supporting Member

I bought a 1998 ES 295 (made in Japan) on E- bay ( $650) that was in dead mint condition. The neck is straight as an arrow, fit & finish is excellent - plays and sounds great. I did upgrade the bridge to a roller bridge which is best for a Bixby set up and also changed the sloppy tuners to Kluson Tone Pros (look exactly the same as stock). It's a shame that Epiphone discontinued this very versatile and cool looking guitar from there line.

6. cratz2

cratz2 Member

Well, I think TGP (or any internet forum for that matter) are an eclectic group and probably not indicative of the general buying public. I'd assume that most buyers probably have a reasonable balance between guitar and amp cost. Maybe even cheaper amps.

I do agree that so many youtube clips sound SOOO bad. I think it's largely a matter of using mics built into cameras and not really knowing how to use their equipment to their full capabilities.

Never played an Epi 295 but based on a few Dots, I'd assume that a 295, with a good set of pickups and a full setup would be a very, very decent playing guitar.

7. karma1

karma1 Member

I have an Epi ES-295 and, and althought I can't compare it to the original Gibson it is modeled after, I think it is quite a decent guitar for the money. From what I was told about mine from the person I bought it from it's got some special features. For one, it was a first year model made in Japan before they moved production to Korea the following year. From what I understand, that model had actual Gibson pickups rather than Epi. It's also has a Bigsby brand pickup rather than Epi, which I believe some later ones have. The previous owner added a roller bridge and had extensive fretwork done, so it plays really nice. Being mainly a solid body guitar player, it took me some getting used to the larger body. But I'm using it mostly for recording rather than gigging and it sounds great. It's also a stunning looking guitar. I paid around $600 for it, and for that price its hard to go wrong.

[​IMG]