Anybody play Omega Amps?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by jspax7, Dec 21, 2005.

1. jspax7

jspax7 Member

In my quest for the "perfect" tone, I have come across Omega Amps. I'm leaning in the direction of a Fuchs ODS 30, (after hearing clips) but Jim Price told me he could build me a Omega / Dumble clone, PTP made to order. (seems like a great guy, BTW) Everyone has their own take on Dumble. If anyone has played, or owns an Omega, let me know what you think. If you've compared it to a Fuchs, that's even better.
    Also, any info on the Skyliner EQ would be helpful.

2. Kinkirsi

Kinkirsi Member

I was wondering about them as well, I think the hot rod deluxe mods on his site sounded killer, anyone with any experience with these?

3. Bad Back

Bad Back Member

4. tubeinmyhead

tubeinmyhead Member

I thought I'd reply to this old thread to give an update on what Jim Price - Omega amps has been up to.

First off a little pre-amble, I've owned 5 Fuchs amps, (4 mods and an ODS30). I've sold 3 of them, still have the ODS30 and a early Traynor YGM 2 x el84 mod. (interestingly that Traynor was the best amp out of the 5). Let me say that I believe Andy is at the top of his game and is producing some of the best dumblesque fussion amps out there. Can't go wrong there!

That said I've been working with Jim on a couple of amps recently (a 50 watter and a 20 watter) the circuit he's developed of recent is, quite frankly, freakin' me out. The amps are really close to a Dumble "ideal", at least what I think that benchmark would be. The gain channel is huge, exceptional clarity, very complex harmonically, really girthy with no "fizziness" and sustain forever. The clean channel is just nails "fender". If you're interested in Jim's current work CALL HIM and ask him to play his amp for you over the phone, (he'll do it) and even with the downside of the audio shortcomings a phone brings, I think you'll be impressed. The circuit he's working now has changed so much over the last few months that he's pulled the old clips off his site. He still has the Deluxe mod there but the "dumbly" clips are history.

TIMH
    "there's a tube in my head and it's startin' to rattle"

5. Deaj

Deaj Silver Supporting Member

I have an Omega modded Fender HRDx and it's a great amp! I had Jim perform the basic mod - no change in tubes, transformers, or speaker. The stock Fender Hot Rod Deluxe (clean mode) is a nice sounding amp with some issues. The HRDx has a full bass response for a 1x12 combo (something I rather like abouot these amps) but the stock tone stack allows for very little control in this area. Also, to my ears, the stock HRDx clean mode sounds harsh as the volume is raised pushing the amp into overdrive. The transition into overdrive is also a little abrupt in stock form.

The Omega mod addresses these issues without deviating from the core tone of the stock amp. The voicing isn't altered so much as it is refined. The modded amp allows for complete control of the bass and low mid content (the tone stack now works like a standard Fender passive tone stack where setting all tone controls to '0' also reduces volume to '0'). The amp now smoothly and seamlessly transitions from clean to overdrive allowing for many shades in between. Notes bloom easily into harmonic feedback. The clean mode with the volume full up offers a significant amount of overdrive but it cleans up wonderfully with the guitars volume. It does seem to me as though a little clean headroom was shaved off (given that I avoided pushing the stock amps clean mode into overdrive I can't say for sure) but the amps tone with the guitar volume turned down a bit is sweet, warm, and articulate. While the Omega modded HRDx leans towards being a blues/rock amp it's responsiveness and articulate tone also work very well for jazz/fusion stuff. My only other amp is a Fuchs ODS-50 1x12 combo. These two amps are very different but I'm just as happy playing either in any setting.

The drive and more drive modes are a complete transformation from stock form. The reworked drive modes are fantastic and much more in balance with the clean mode. The tones in the drive mode are milkshake thick and smooth. Even at very low gain settings this mode sounds very natural and there is enough gain on tap to extend the drive mode into high gain territory. It remains smooth throughout. The more drive mode is more aggressive sounding than the drive mode (though the tone is consistent between the two - the more drive just bears some teeth) and there is quite a bit more gain on tap. Even at the highest gain settings note separation and clarity are amazing! Again, notes bloom effortlessly into musical harmonic feedback.

I recently replaced the stock speaker with an Eminence Cannabis Rex. This speaker is a fantastic match for the modded HRDx and works wonderfully in the combo enclosure. By comparison the stock driver was thin sounding and exhibited some harsh high frequency response when pushed. The C.Rex is very balanced and articulate and works easily as well for clean and drive tones.

The resulting amp is very musical and expressive! I'm exceedingly happy with it. I'd love to try one of Jim's custom amps!

6. RonnyLee

RonnyLee Member

I have a '96 Hot Rod DeVille 410 that's just been sitting
    around for the last four or five years.
    His mods for this amp are getting rave reviews, and I 'm thinking about bringing it out of retirement.
    Anyone here have any experience with this??

7. Hamer95USA

Hamer95USA Member

Hey folks,

I have an Omega Amps modified Hot Rod Deluxe as well. Deaj and I both had our amps modified at the same time. I'm glad you like the Cannabis Rex, Deaj. That speaker rocks!! I think that Deaj pretty much said everything I wanted to say about the Omega Amps modded HRDlx, in a much more articulate & detailed way.:AOK I'm currently running mine with a pair of KT-66 power tubes as an experiment (NOS RCA & Tung Sol) as Jim does recommend the KT-66 power tubes.

Hey Ronny Lee,

Call Jim Price of Omega Amps and talk to him about getting your HR Deville modified. He will turn your amp into a blackface on the clean channel and a snarling early '70s Marshall tone on the drive/more drive channel. He'll address the tone stack, reverb and master volume issues with your amp as well. For $250.00 plus shipping both ways, that HR Deville will come back to you as a new amp. You can also have Jim swap out the transformer, change the stock amp faceplate to his Omega Amps faceplate or buy different tubes from him for more gain or different tone. Check out his website here:

http://www.omegaamps.com/mods2.html

Deaj (TGP member) has clips of his modded Hot Rod Deluxe on the website.

Guitar George

8. RonnyLee

RonnyLee Member

Thanks for the info. His site is really interesting, and his prices are great, considering the results.
    RonnyLee

9. Miles Long

Miles Long Member

Do you think the Cannabis Rex would be a good match for the Glaswerks? I haven't decided on cab and speakers yet. Thanks!

10. Deaj

Couldn't say for sure Miles. I'm going to try to get a half hour or so to run the Fuchs ODS with the C.Rex at volume in the next couple of days. I'll be sure to let you know how it sounds. I read a post in a recent C.Rex thread from another Fuchs ODS/TDS player who had nothing but glowing remarks.

11. Deaj

You should definitely give Jim a call to discuss. He's a heck of a nice guy and really enjoys what he does. His number and email are posted the Omega Amps website.

12. 58gasman

58gasman Member

Omega amps have me interested. I have spoken to Jim Price several times. I found him to be a very nice guy who gave me a phone demo of his 50 watt amp. This was a couple of years ago and fwiw the amp sounded excellent. Mind you, this was a phone demo but it left me intrigued. Jim has since refined the circuit and is quite excited by it. I also exchanged e-mails with a very satisfied customer of one of Jim's mods.

Anyway it seems he makes very nice stuff at a very competitive price. It would be interested to hear from people that have any of his custom amps.

13. PSaulino

PSaulino Silver Supporting Member

The very first "Robben Ford Tones" amp, as shown on the website, was mine. I sent him an SF Bassman head, and a CD copy of RF's "Handful of Blues" and he did the mod. First one, he had schematics from thw web, my CD, my descriptions, and his own ears and hands.

HE NAILED THE LEAD TONE.

We had few tweaks here and there to the clean, and I wanted more bass overall, but could not get it right to satisfy what I was looking for. In a fit of GAS I sold it, should not have but I did. Jim emailed to tell me that he had the clean channel "figured out" as well as the depth issue, which, BTW and per my experience, is common to all Dumble stlye amps.

I'll bet even money he did figure it out.

Everyone is right, call him. SUPER guy.

Paul

14. macmax77

macmax77 Supporting Member

is Jim still available?