Anybody played a 56 RI LP?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Angry Old Man, Jan 31, 2012.

1. Angry Old Man

Angry Old Man Member

Been doing a lot of reseach on this. Need to be careful because this would be a big investment.

Anybody have any experience with the 56?

Please pass on your thoughts

Also I have read the necks are very large and the fretts kinda small. Two things that concern me. (I have stubby fingers and normally like a bigger frett). Anyone able to enlighten me?

Thanks
    AOM

2. daddyagogo

daddyagogo Member

3. Matt L

Matt L Supporting Member

I own one. Yes, they have big, fat D-shaped necks, but the frets are not what I would call small. You can definitely still dig in and bend with fairly low action. Small frets, IMO, are the "vintage" style on some Telecasters and Strats, or maybe the low, flat ones on the "fretless wonder" Les Paul Customs. These are more medium-sized to me. Similar to my Sg Standard or other Les Paul Standards.

I don't have especially gigantic hands or long fingers, but I find the neck to be quite comfortable. You'd have to try it out, and see what you thought. It's quite a fantastic guitar. Wonderful tone.

4. Shark Sandwich

Shark Sandwich Member

I have one, probably my favorite guitar out of many. The neck is big, but not as big as my '59 reissue, which has a big fat D shape. The '56 actually has a a bit of a V neck feel to it, which makes it a little more manageable than the '59. The shoulders of the '56 neck are not as big as the '59. The frets are definitely on the smaller side, but it's still a great playing guitar.

5. esoteric pete

esoteric pete Member

lotsa people own R6's..do a search..

6. Matt L

Matt L Supporting Member

I wonder if the necks vary, because mine doesn't have what I would call a V neck, at all. It's definitely a fat D-shape.

7. Marble

Marble Member

I've played a couple a few times, they are what you would expect if you've played a solid LP with p90s soundwise. The pickups are ultimately up to you. One friend's is pretty great, Another friend of mine has one that he borrows from a drummer and the neck seems a bit fatter, but how you set it up will count. Both friends use their R6s for slide.

8. JKjr

JKjr Member

My 56 neck is fatter than a 59 without being a baseball bat. Incredible guitar. Frets are vintage but plenty big enough, bends like butter. Mine was perfect right out of the box, but that seems to be the exception rather than the rule. If you like LPs and you like P90s then you'll love the 56.

9. Strat58

Strat58 Member

Hi is there much difference in sound with a R4 I am want to buy a R4 or R6 :)
    Peace Strat58

10. rockinlespaul

rockinlespaul Member

You might notice more of a attack with the wraptail. More sustain, etc....

I would take a R4 over a R6 anyday. Good luck!

Here's mine....not your everyday R4...

[​IMG]

11. rockinlespaul

rockinlespaul Member

Yours is NOT the norm for a R6 imho....

12. jetlag

jetlag Member

The necks on the R6s vary over the years. Mine is a 2003 and it's neck was huge in a weird kind of U shape. Nothing like a real '56. I've played some from the late 90s that had a great feeling neck that was much smaller than mine, but still what I would consider full or large. I think when people characterize the neck on their R6, they need to identify what year the guitar is.

13. rockinlespaul

rockinlespaul Member

They are all final sanded by hand so every one of them vary. I've played a few. Some were fat, some were not. Some had big shoulders, some did not. Gotta get out and play 'em.....

14. Shark Sandwich

Shark Sandwich Member

that could be, I haven't really played any others. When I say V neck, I really just mean that it's a bit slimmer in the shoulders than the '59, it's just not as broad as the '59, but still a large neck. It's not a V neck like the Clapton strat for example or my Martin OM 28 which has very pronounced V neck.

15. ahab

ahab Member

My R6 is the best guitar I have ever owned. And, I have owned many over the last 25 years. Mine definitely has a large, D shape neck and it feels great. The tone is spectacular for the music I play (rock, altcountry, blues). I have kept it all stock except for having the nut replaced twice (it was not cut right either by Gibson or by a reputable Chicago repair shop). This, however, is a minor thing to me, because the tone and neck shape are so wonderful. Honestly, it's the single best music related purchase that have made.

16. Jed B

Jed B Member

I have a 2010......neck was bigger around the first 1-5 frets (big C) - then tapers off to a medium C after that. Not as big as a R8 that I had for a while. I took the shoulders off from frets 1-6.........fits my hand better now. Consistant all the way up down.

Frets are ok........typical Gibson type......ok when new, but don't expect alot left if you need a level/dressing/crown ect......

Best guitar I own..........and I like to think I've got a few good ones.

17. RJLII

RJLII Member

I really like mine. It plays and sounds great. A couple minor issues:

1) The nitro was very soft. It took a year out of the case on a hanger for it to harden up. To be fair, it was a NOS from 2007 that I bought in the summer of 2010. After three years in the case it got shipped to me in 90 degree weather. The nitro never really got to offgas.

2) The pickup covers were the pink/peach hue and the pickguard was much whiter (see below). Gibson sent me two covers that matched the pickguard perfectly (for free).

3) A piece of the plating flaked off a tailpiece stud. Replaced under warranty by my local dealer.

Aside from the above it's been great. It needed a restring, a neck adjustment, and the action tweaked but that's normal.

[​IMG]

18. Matt L

Matt L Supporting Member

I also swapped the pickup covers to ones that match the pickguard better. That pinkish hue bothered me as soon as it was pointed out to me. Closer to the originals, too-

[​IMG]

19. GulfportBound

GulfportBound Member

I've been playing one for just over a year. She's a 2007 I found on the Bay for a filthy good price and she's become my go-to gig guitar since . . . I've never played a better guitar for playing the blues, and I already had two beautiful Les Pauls (which I still love) as it was when she came to me . . . and all I had to do with her when she arrived was take her for a setup. I haven't changed a thing about her and I never will. You can't improve on perfection.

[​IMG]

20. mainsale

mainsale Member

I've had this R6 for quite a while now and it's not going anywhere. P-90's and LP's go together swimmingly. The neck is beefy and I like that. I also think it adds positively to the overall tone of the guitar. I think the R6 is one of Gibson's best LP's.

[​IMG]