Anybody played a 60's SG Special Tribute yet?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Sonic Reducer, Mar 27, 2011.

1. Sonic Reducer

Sonic Reducer Member

I got my eye on a white one, but haven't been able to try one yet. Still kicking myself in the butt for selling my beloved Townshend Signature SG years ago.

2. skeeterbuck

skeeterbuck Member

I played one about 3 weeks ago. What do you want to know?

3. Sonic Reducer

Sonic Reducer Member

I'm not too far from maryland. Where did you play it? Just your thoughts on it.

4. macca

macca Member

In addition to the pickguard (no big deal to me), one obvious difference between the Tribute and the Townshend sig (and indeed, an actual Special) is the use of a tuneomatic bridge, rather than a wraparound. Beating a dead horse, I know, but it seems idiotic -- as well as misleading -- to make a so-called 60's SG Special and get wrong something as obvious and as important as the bridge.

5. buddyrama

buddyrama Supporting Member

I bought a cherry one from Wildwood Guitars about three weeks ago and haven't played my other guitars in three weeks. Very nice guitar for the money.

6. skeeterbuck

skeeterbuck Member

Bill's up in Catonsville had one in Natural finish.

It was ok. I wasn't too crazy about the satin finish because they must not use any filler coat to save on cost and the guitar kinda feels like bare wood without a finish. The thing that kept me from plugging it in was the fact it has the wide/slim tapered neck profile and I just don't care for that profile at all. Plus the fact that I already have a good idea what the p-90's will sound like and I knew I wasn't going to buy the guitar anyway.

They also had a 60's LP in black that I liked much better. Because they are weight relieved that LP was really light.

I think that they only had one of each at that time so if you have to drive a fair distance, you may want to call and see if their still there. Hope this helps!

7. smolder

smolder Gold Supporting Member

I played one at a GC... Not much different than my 50's tribute frankly. Great guitars.