.....anybody played new 57 Twin Re-Issue.....is build quality at boutique level?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by pedalcr8z, Feb 14, 2006.

1. pedalcr8z

pedalcr8z Member

Is it in the Victoria league build or sound quality? Are large scale manufacturers capable of building a handwire of exceptional quality?

.........thanks

2. ngtubeamper

ngtubeamper Member

NO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have seen it ! :BEER

3. shuffle

shuffle Member

What about the latest DRRI build and sound quality?

4. fjs1962

fjs1962 Silver Supporting Member

I own a Victoria 50212 (tweeed twin) and I've tried out one of the Fender reissues. The Fender seemed to be very similar tonally and has a couple of features (2 x 5U4 vs 1 x 5AR4 rectifiers, horizontal vs vertical input jacks) that are closer to the real 50s amps. From the pictures I've seen of the inside of the Fender it looks like the build quality is good, but the inside of my Victoria is a work of art when it comes to build quality. Plus Victoria uses special caps made for them, carbon comp resistors, Sprague power caps, while the Fender uses more run of the mill parts. They both cost about the same thing. I think the Victoria is a little better made amp, but the Fender isn't shabby and you're getting a real Fender amp, for what that's worth. I don't think you can go wrong with either one.

5. bscepter

bscepter Member

If the prices are the same (or nearly), I'd probably go for the Victoria, as it will be rarer over time. But I have played one of the new Fenders, and they're truly awesome amps. I plugged an LP Jr. into one, turned it up 3/4 way, and it ushered forth some of the best tone I've ever heard from an amp. Truly astounding.

6. brianf

brianf Member

I have had one for almost 3 years. All stock including speaker. I'm still amazed how great this thing sounds. Very articulate!!!!

brianf

7. SuperReverb2

SuperReverb2 Member

I haven't had the chance to audition one of the Victoria Amps yet, and I have NO DOUBT they are great amps, not only tonally but in build quality as well. With that said though, I have had my Fender 57 Tweed Twin for a full year now and it is one of the nicest sounding amps I have ever had the pleasure of playing through. I have had ZERO issues as well.
    If "Tweed" is what you're after, IMHO the Fender 57 Tweed Twin should be right up there with the others at the top of the list.

Chuck

8. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

Agreed. I have played most of the Victorias. Great amps. I played a Fender TT RI alongsid many vintage fenders, and it 100% held its own. I would go with the Fender.

9. glasman

glasman Guest

I had a chance a while back to play a 57 Tweed twin RI and I was very impressed. Plugged a tele straight and was blown away how big and clear the amp sounded. Nice clear top end and no harshness.

Can't comment on build quality didn't see the guts.

Gary

10. deeval

deeval Supporting Member

I Had the Vic Low power and it was shipped with ceremic Jensens,and even though it was built very good,It didnt sound as good as the Fender I own Now. Maybe the weber speakers,I just like the tone of the Fender,And it is built almost as good as the Vic.
    You couldnt go wrong with either,They are very good amps.I use an ABY box to chain the channels

11. Strat-O

Strat-O Member

Victoria makes this amp for Fender.

12. 1964

1964 Member

IMO, go with the Fender.

13. Relicula

Relicula Member

Victoria does not make this amp for Fender....geez.

14. Gas-man

Gas-man Unrepentant Massaganist

:confused:

15. MK.II

MK.II Member

FWIW, Fender uses Mercury Magnetics trannies in the reissue '57 Twin. I'm not sure what Victoria uses. Both are great amps (I own both). Aside from the already mentioned obvious differences (rectifiers and control panel layout), the bass control works very differently between them. According to my tech, Fender used a couple of slightly different tone stacks in the original low power Twins, hence the difference in how the bass controls work between the Fender and the Vicky.

16. WahmBoomAh

WahmBoomAh World Crass Guitarist Silver Supporting Member

Pepsi is made by Coca-Cola ...shhhhhh

17. slider313

slider313 Silver Supporting Member

Victoria is making the new Gretsch series of amps. I believe Fender owns the Gretsch name,which is where the confusion may be. It could very well be they are doing the custom shop amps also!??? Anyway I haven't play a Victoria but tested the 57 Twin and couldn't believe the big clean complex tones. No need for reverb here, as the amp has a very 3D type tone/feel to it.

18. BobbyRay

BobbyRay Supporting Member

I currently own a '57 Twin, and have owned Victoria and Clark amps. For build quality alone, Clark was the top in my experience. Tonally the Clark amp (different model, Tyger based on the 3X10 Bandmaster) reminded me more of original tweeds I hve played. Seemed the most authentic tonally. Not sure how his Tweed Twin would sound. The Vickies I've owned and played all seem a tad stiffer than Clark or the Fender Tweed Twin (Double deluxe and 50212).

The Fender to me is smooth and full sounding while the others could be a little grittier. Not sure what that can be attributed to, but that was my experience.

As always...YMMV!