Anybody put a Bigsby on your Collings I-30?

vladimirwolfe

Supporting Member
Emailed Collings about doing this and got a very informative and enthusiastic reply so I'm moving forward. I was planning to have Dusty Strings in Seattle do this but their repair shop isn't taking on any new work at this time. Any suggestions for other pro's in Seattle/Bellingham to do this or should I bite the bullet and try this myself?

j.s.tonehound

I don't think I'd take a punt on my I-30 but an I-35 with a Bigsby would be a "shut up and take my money" type situation. I've seen a couple but they've always been sold before I've clapped eyes on them. Thank goodness!

My only thought on this is it will change the whole dynamic of the guitar. That may not be an issue and you could easily turn it back to stock so it’s pretty low risk.

maplebaby

i don't think you'll get Collings to do it..as a general rule, other than warranty issues, they don't have the time/resources to do this kind of custom mod.

vladimirwolfe

Supporting Member
If you ever sell the guitar you can then also put in the ad:

"Collings installed Bigsby".
Generally not a seller of guitars and definitely not this one :)

Can you do it like Gretsch style Bigsby? So there's no need to drill holes on the top?
Collings recommends (and uses) the B7 Bigsby

i don't think you'll get Collings to do it..as a general rule, other than warranty issues, they don't have the time/resources to do this kind of custom mod.
Although I know Bill Frisell got them to retrofit a Bigsby on his I-35...but I ain't no Bill.

The bear

Chances are if you sent the guitar back to Collings you wouldn't see it again for a long time. They are SO busy.
I had some work done one of my Soco's and it took at least 6 months to get it back, maybe longer.

vladimirwolfe

Supporting Member
Chances are if you sent the guitar back to Collings you wouldn't see it again for a long time. They are SO busy.
I had some work done one of my Soco's and it took at least 6 months to get it back, maybe longer.
Unlike you, this is my only Collings ;) so yeah, I don’t want it out of my hands for too long!

paulg

Silver Supporting Member
Vibramate all the way. Totally reversible and may actually work better because it reduces the break angle at the bridge.

walterw

Gold Supporting Member
Vibramate all the way. Totally reversible and may actually work better because it reduces the break angle at the bridge.
yep!

totally a thing with hold down bar bigsbys, that extra 1/8" or whatever clearance reduces drag over the bridge

Trending Topics