Anybody reissue old Dearmond pickups?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by jw71, Feb 28, 2012.

1. jw71

jw71 Member

I'm looking for a set of pickups similar to the Dearmond pickups in the better Harmony guitars of the 60's. I want to install them in a hollow body guitar. I'm not interested in Dynasonics or the new Dearmond 2Ks, but the old "double moustache" or "Gold Tone" type pickups. I would prefer to find somebody who could accurately recreate them so I could start with a fresh new set instead of taking my chances trying to find an original set which I would have to pay out the nose for and worry about their reliability.

Any ideas?

2. Angry Old Man

Angry Old Man Member

I used to have a big box of them because I was a very heavy collector. However I dont anymore.

Beyond paying $200 for a beater I dont really know. Delta Strings in STL used to rewind then, etc, but they are out of business now. (STL shops in general would be worth e-mailing)

If you wanted bunches I could e-mail my buddy. Problem is he would never bother for a couple.

Look for banged up Rockets, or silohettes(harmony) on ebay. Really several guitars had them, but your right.....you want the Gold Tones. Their magic

3. Chikn

Chikn Supporting Member

Try Seymour Duncan's Custom Shop page.

4. nmiller

nmiller Drowning in lap steels Silver Supporting Member

I had a pair of Stephens Design Dirty Harry pickups in a custom guitar a while back. They're not reissues of a specific pickup, but more of a tribute to the overall DeArmond vibe - a successful tribute, to my ears.

Yanuziello guitars have custom pickups by Lindy Fralin which are very similar to those old gold-foil DeArmonds; I'm not sure if they're quite identical, but Yanuziello discusses them here. Perhaps Fralin will make you a pair.

5. gillman royce

gillman royce Member

Save you a lot of time and anguish as I did this hunt for 2-3 years. I learned the following:

1) the magnets in both the gold foil and mustache are rubber - just like the ones you use to post stuff on your refrigerator. A lot of pick up makers/repairers hate to work on them as a result.
    2) a stamper alone for pup making costs $10k
    3) If part of what you like when you hear those old Dearmonds is the brightness, aside from the uniqueness of the pup, the fretboard on most Harmony guitars is ebony and, if it's a hollowbody, the pup surround is a solid block of rosewood; the top is laminated maple
    4) The pots are CTS - volume 1meg; tone 250k
    5) Most Harmony necks are poplar
    6) All these contribute to the tone and you really need each element

I suggest you just buy Gold Foils off of ebay - I've done it often

6. Sweetfinger

Sweetfinger Supporting Member

The reason nobody is doing them is the tooling is expensive for a pickup that won't sell in large numbers. The price of originals isn't higher than a boutique built replica, so basically. buy a set used.

7. SPROING!

SPROING! Member

Or do like I did. Find a good Teisco gold foil and use that.
    Put one on a Godin 5th Avenue and it slays!

8. Tele71

Tele71 Gold Supporting Member

There are a few on the bay right now. I have a set like the one on the meter but mine are mounted to tortise shell pick gaurd material and read over 10K each I got them out of the parts emporium from a guy who had 3 or 4 types of pickups. I bought 2 of the sets he had for sale the foils being one. Pretty cool stuff that old DeArmond stuff.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...d+gold+foil+pickups&_sacat=See-All-Categories

Lollar and Duncan and even Biltoft may be able to put something together for you as well but used is an easy way to go. Oh yea I got the set I have for 110 shipped so they do show up from time to time. Hope that helps.
    Best
    Paul