Anybody remember Stars Guitars hardware?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Brett Faust, Jul 28, 2009.

1. Brett Faust

Brett Faust Member

What ever became of that company?
    They used to be out of San Francisco a few doors down from Modulus Graphite I think.
    Did they morph into another company or just fade away?
    Anyone know?

2. slider

slider Member

I remember them. They made brass nuts and bridges and such. My quick net search didn't turn up much, except for the fact that a guy named Michael Soldano worked there.
    I thought maybe they merged with Alembic?

3. Alvis

Alvis Member

I remember them,back when brass meant SUSTAIN
    I guess we all got that one wrong
    Of course I never throw anything away. My infamous 1966 Kay "Saddam" guitar sports a Stars Guitars tunematic

4. Trebor Renkluaf

Trebor Renkluaf I was hit by a parked car, what's your excuse? Silver Supporting Member

I put a Stars Guitars brass bridge on my '70s Les Paul custom. Not sure whatever happened to the company.

5. Baxtercat

Baxtercat Member

...went back to makin hash pipes?

6. HelloKittyHawk!

HelloKittyHawk! Member

I think that they just went extinct. I remember that they used to write gear reviews in Guitar Player, oddly enough (early eighties?). I think that their spokesman in those reviews was Ron Armstrong (?)... maybe.

I'm also pretty sure that their parts were manufactured by APM (Kahler), as were those by DiMarzio, Charvel, Schecter, Mighty Mite, Fender "Brassmaster", etc.. It all looked cool, anyway!

superrock likes this.
  7. hwnmele

hwnmele Member

Just joined Gear Page and found this thread! I know it's been 7 years since the last post but oh well. Anyway, yeah Stars Guitars used to be located on Folsom Street near 4th street. Back in 1981 they built a custom neck for my '66 Jazz (to better fit my smaller hands) and it has a brass nut. Still play it to this day...and it still feels solid and sounds clear and crisp as ever...

Mayflower and HelloKittyHawk! like this.
  8. keith j mcintyre

keith j mcintyre Member

Stars Guitars made some great products. I bought a 6-position rotary pick-up selector from them in the late '70s, and it was a great product. I was able to get my '57 Les Paul Special with two P90s to sound like a funky hollow Stratocaster, I could also put both P90s in series/in phase for a great fat, high output sound. People remarked what unexpected sounds I was getting out of a Les Paul with P90 pickups. Their 6 position switch was not made up of a set of filters like on Gibson's ES 345s, but connected the pickups in alternative ways.

9. mc5nrg

mc5nrg Member

Remember the brand ads and the late 70s i nnn to the 80s brass parts era.

10. EADGBE

EADGBE Member

It can mean sustain. But it doesn't always sound good.

Baxtercat likes this.
  11. Gary

Gary Member

I remember those guys. I went down there one day and picked up a brass LP tailpiece, still layin around here somewhere. I used to hang out at Gary Brawers little shop, he had a small place next to Don Weir's, it was close to the Prudential building, I think that's what they called it, Kind of a triangle lookin skyscraper thingy?? I moved outta there in 81, so my memory might be ????

scolfax likes this.
  12. Roger David

Roger David Supporting Member

I worked there for about a year. It was right next to S.I.R., Studio Instrument Rentals. While I was there I made a med. scale bass with 2 EMG pickups, I believe the first bass pickups EMG made. Wish I could find that bass...it was figured walnut, 5 piece neck, brass Alembic style bridge and tailpiece. Had an Omega shaped cutout headstock. ...
    Also converted a Guild Starfire bass to a long scale fretless with a thick ebony board with a modulus graphite underlay. I play it now, an amazing bass.
    Wonder where those guys are....

superrock and HelloKittyHawk! like this.
  13. HelloKittyHawk!

HelloKittyHawk! Member

Do you have any photos of either of those basses?
    I love Stars hardware, pickups, and the few Stars instruments that I've encountered.

superrock likes this.
  14. Leif Piland

Leif Piland Member

Ron Armstrong was the owner of stars guitars .He was my step father. He met my mother in the early 1980's and moved to the north Bay with her. Stars closed down and never returned. Ron tried to get another business going in the music feild for the rest of his life shortly before he died he teamed up with bartalini pickups and almost had something going but it ended up not panning out. He divorced my mother and died shortly after. I don't have many good memories of Ron, I do remember him talking for hours about Stars guitars. It was the highlight of his life. That is what happened to stars guitars. I hope that was able to answer your questions .

15. scolfax

scolfax Supporting Member

I was just listening to Soldano in a YouTube talk about Stars Guitars. I've been looking for a brass hardtail bridge for my Charvel and was hoping I could find a used SG piece that would work.

16. Lorenz01

Lorenz01 Member

Stars fadded away

Im Lorenzo, Ron's second step son. Ron died in September of 2014. He married my mother Dana in Palm Springs about a month before hand. Stars guitars was one of his proudest achievements. Although had alot more to him then guitar building. He was an officer in the Marine Corps, then a rescue helicopter pilot, then he was placed on embassy guard duty. He came back to the states a changed man who lost alot in Vietnam. He got PhD in philosophy to make sense of the war and he had some other lesser degrees. Im not sure what exactly but one of them was in electricity, what ever you'd call that in academic terms. After that. He invented things. Alot of things, he treasure hunted in Latin America, he started stars guitars, he worked for NASA, he built a gigantic guitar, he raised 5 kids, he lost his leg from a rare disease on a pebble, he divorced his first wife; Barbra, he was a mentor to me and provided me with a love of music that was alien to me beforehand, i have only great/good memories of him. Ron was an immensely interesting and talented man with wonders to give the world. He had a 140+ IQ and he could tell a hell of a story; he also made learning not just fun, but better than any movie or story you could watch or read. If only he could have lived for another 60 years. Im sure he'd revolutionize somthing, not just the lives of me or my mother.

Heres a link to some of his music
    https://m.soundcloud.com/ronald-armstrong

And hey Scolfax, brass was one of Ron's biggest features on his guitars. It gave the guitar a damn good sustain as im sure you know. If i were you i'd go play around with different brass, to see which created the best sustain, when you say hit it with somthing. Buy a chunk and get somebody to carve it into somthing useful. Id also suggest making the nut brass. Thanks for reading!

Leif if you're reading this i wish you the best.

TLDR Ron was a good dude.

Big love -L