Anybody revive a second intrument past to play in a band? aka new instrument day

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by wrxplayer, Feb 19, 2009.

1. wrxplayer

wrxplayer Supporting Member

I joined a cover/classic rock band last weekend. No recording contract in sight but I'm looking forward to playing with people and doing some gigs in NJ and PA. I'm old, business sucks, and this should be lots of fun. Cheaper and safer than more traditional midlife crisis outlets as well! I'm playing rhythm, a little lead, and some vocals.

From third grade through college I played saxophone and in college sat first chair tenor in the UF Jazz Ensemble. For no particularly good reason, I haven't picked up a sax more than twice since then (28 years).

I decided to pick it up again after all these years to add another contribution to the band. My horn was old and never very good so I went out searching for an instrument.

With a budget of $1K, my options were (a) a vintage horn by a good but not great maker with a bit of a gamble on playability out of the box; (b) a gently used or perhaps new "professional grade" saxes from one of many importers of Taiwanese horns, or (c) a used student grade instrument from a good manufacturer (Yamaha being my first option here). I decided on going vintage and after doing some research and spending time on the saxophonist's version of tgp (www.saxontheweb.net) bought a 1951 "The Martin" "Committee" model off their emporium. It's on its way from Chicago. Pics below.

Anybody else revisit their old glory in this way? If so, was it a successful attempt? Would love to hear how it went.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 19, 2009
  2. baxen

baxen Member

Nice horn, didn't Miles Davis play a Martin Committee trumpet?

3. Gotham City Blues

Gotham City Blues Member

I can't say that I have, but it's great that you're expanding your horizons and bettering your musicianship. Like they say, you're never to old.

That's a nice sax, btw. When tgp'ers say they're searching for that liquidy sax tone, you can say you've found it already!

Congrats.:AOK

4. Randaddy

Randaddy Member

I played trumpet in high school and college. I continued to play a few years afterwards, but gradually quit. Then at 29 years old I took up guitar.
    I haven't played trumpet since.

If I were any good, I'd add it to my short list of abilities... but I'm not that good. :cry:

It sounds like you are pretty good! So have fun!!!! That will make a versatile combination of sounds.

5. sausagefingers

sausagefingers Supporting Member

Sometimes I think it would be cool to have some horns/saxes for certain things either in P&W or cover settings.

But the most interesting thing about your post to me is that there is a SAX-centric 'tgp' out there. Do they obsess about embrochure, what reed gives the fattest tone, hate on Kenny G, and whether Coleman was better than Bird?

6. wrxplayer

wrxplayer Supporting Member

If "obsession" were a professional career, they'd make us over here look like amateurs.

7. thewhit

thewhit Silver Supporting Member

Your Sax looks real nice with the scrolling. As far as reviving an instrument....not so much for me but sometimes I like playing my '64 Martin D-28 or Guilds more than electric.