Anybody run permanently goosed?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by jaywalker, Jun 15, 2008.

1. jaywalker

jaywalker Member

Just a quick thought, as I'm loosing track of what is orthodox and what isn't.
    I recently took my BOSS stuff of my board to do a boss only demo/workshop for a distributer (some of you may have seen it), and it's been years since I've gigged without my big board (apart from blues gigs where I'm a cable guy). I run a pretty hot signal courtesy of an active splitter and only recently read the manual where it says the minimum volume is the same as the input level (oops). I run it on full. When doing the boss demo I realized I was not only loosing gain, but also dynamics and response without the nobels split 4.
    I feel pretty lame now, it seems my entire signal chain is super goosed - but then again, I can get a good sound out of any piece of crap I throw on my board (a friend recently commented on this claiming it was voodoo).
    I recently got some EHX stuff to demo, tried the LPB up front and it didn't seem to make any difference due to the first pedal in the chain already being goosed to the point of being gandered and laying golden eggs.

Anybody else get more out by putting more up front to the extreme?

2. Birddog

Birddog Member

I'm feeling really dumb here......but I don't understand the question.

The minimum volume of WHAT is the same as the input level? I'm probably the only guy at the entire TGP that doesn't get this...but I don't get it. I'm curious, too, because I run everything (lots of Boss) right in the front of my amp....

3. jaywalker

jaywalker Member

The active splitter vol I meant. It comes right after the guitar, sorry, should have been clearer. It means I have a super hot signal going into everything.

4. Dave Wakely

Dave Wakely Member

I have a TonePress with the volume on about 3 going into a Hao Rust Booster running fairly high going into everything else. I like how it sounds. Is that a serious issue, or should I just have another coffee and carry on with life? :)

5. JimH

JimH Member

Yeah definitely had that but I try to avoid it as feel I don't get to 'know' my stuff properly - bit of a weird attitude as if it sounds good it is good but somehow I feel that if I get used to it and then change my rig I'll be in trouble. had this recently while experimenting with a compressor - ended up just wanting it banging up my signal the whole time - so I shelved it.

6. jaywalker

jaywalker Member

That's exactly what I meant, don't get me wrong, I think the sound is 100% better that way, but I'm a bit of a control freak and don't like it when I don't know what's going on exactly with my signal!

Dave, enjoy your coffee in peace of mind!

7. rcl

rcl Member

Read Dave Barbers notes on "cooking tubes". The idea being that you want to make the preamp tubes work a little bit. I've used a clean OCD for this, a TIM and a few other pedals. Normally the last thing in the chain before the amp. I guess as long as nothing in the rest of your chain is limiting the signal, then you could put the "cooker" somewhere else. Anyway, it definitely makes sure the signal gets there with ooomph and seems to bring the amps I have alive. Not bad without it, just seems better/more alive, with a little smack in the head to the preamp.

8. ben_allison

ben_allison Member

Is the output of your guitar into the active splitter anywhere in the range of what an active pickup might be putting out? If so, I wouldn't sweat too much! If not, well, there really aren't and "supposed to's" anyway. If there were, and we all stuck to them, innovation and creativity would be impossible.

I've heard your clips and I've already commented on how killer I think your tones are. You know your rig and it knows you.

That being said, some pedals might not like getting a hotter-than-instrument-level signal. Running too much signal can reduce headroom and dynamics as you might be forcing the signal to clip. Lopping of the tops of your transients is bad (unless you're going for a super compressed sound).

A lot of signal before the board will affect how pedal on it distort and a lot of signal coming out of the board will affect how the amp distorts. I'm sure you know all this like the back of your hand though.

Do what sounds/feels good (and throw out the manuals)!