• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Anybody see colors when they play?

Julio Iguana

I totally believe this to be true. I don’t see colors but someone close to me does and could describe the experiences. I have heard of or seen too many things I don’t understand, but I try to leave my mind open. Just saying.

Tone_Terrific

Silver Supporting Member
I don’t see colors but someone close to me does and could describe the experiences.
Describe them as what?
I absolutely do not grasp what 'see colours' means.
The vid did not explain it for me to understand what 'see colours' means as it is generally used.

Woowoo

I have it. Not colours, my brain creates shapes that correspond to different sounds. It runs in families, my sister associates numbers with certain colours.
It feels kind of cool, I've always enjoyed it in a way, but unfortunately in my case it does not come with any extraordinary artistic abilities.

Tone_Terrific

Silver Supporting Member
Not colours, my brain creates shapes that correspond to different sounds.
Do these come up in your field of vision?
Have you ever handled a chainsaw?
Frightening to think of hallucinations in context of some activities.

Julio Iguana

Describe them as what?
I absolutely do not grasp what 'see colours' means.
The vid did not explain it for me to understand what 'see colours' means as it is generally used.
I did not view the vid. I don't see colors (as mentioned) but the person I know who does has described it to me. I trust and believe this person. It just is, it doesn't get you anything. There's no gain to be had. If you need further "proof" I am not the person you should ask. Seek.

76_Futura

i see fast food...a big power chord looks like a big mac . . .
Mr. Rogers: "Well, I'm sure a lot of people out there would like to know how a big, strong guy like you plays the bass so well . . . gets to be so strong, and what he eats to be like that. Can you tell us that?"

bass player: "Well, I eat a lot of garbage food, but, ahh, I mainly subsist on stuff like sandwiches and tins of tuna. Chicken. Somethin' like that from a chain store. Soda."

Woowoo

Do these come up in your field of vision?
Have you ever handled a chainsaw?
Frightening to think of hallucinations in context of some activities.
No, they do not obstruct my vision at all. It's like they are present only in the background. I wouldn't call them hallucinations, because I can easily dismiss them whenever I need to focus on something.

UncleBubba79

I've dealt with it as long as I can remember. Didn't know what it was until 10 years ago or so. I've read about people for whom it can be debilitating.

Mine manifests as colors or patterns in my "mind's eye". It doesn't often take over what I am consciously seeing, but there are times when intense thought or sounds can produce a kaleidoscope effect. For me it has more to do with times, words, letters and sounds corresponding to colors or patterns. I always thought it was maybe because I watched Sesame Street as a kid and associated the color green with the number 7 or something, but it really does seem to go beyond that.

Best way I can describe it is to think about where your vision goes when you daydream. If that second sight could be triggered by sights, sounds, or phrases and exist at the same time as your conscious sight, you'd be in the ball park. At least in my ball park.

cyarwood

Some people have a condition where they actually see colors when they hear certain notes or timbre. A notable composer /guitarist that was a synesthete was Phillip Houghton. Anybody know of other artists that had this ability/condition ? A great piece by Houghton is called Opals. The LAGQ have several recordings that can be found on YouTube.
Count me in.

Black&Blue

Yes. And more so when improvising...and going into detail, the colors around me effect my playing creatively as well. However, I'm also into graphic/visual arts and spend most my time away from making music designing, drawing, and painting (and building things).

Trending Topics