Anybody See The Musical Guest on Kimmel Last Night???

Jollyb

Gold Supporting Member
Guy looked like Paul Williams in Smokey & the Bandit on acid.

I havnt watched Jimmy Kimmel since his Man Show days. He's kind of a disgrace to comedians and comedy everywhere now.

BobbyMac

Silver Supporting Member
That'll fit right in on a Sunday morning cartoon show...

Nothing about that performance merits a serious comment.

Motterpaul

Tone is in the Ears
The people who book musical acts on TV variety shows (SNL anyone?) seem to gravitate towards this gimmick stuff. It isn't much different than Andy Kaufman or Super Dave for Comedy.

IOW: I don't generally watch TV to drive my taste in music.

Yam the BOMB

Blues Dentist
Platinum Supporting Member
What's funnier than the OP video is knowing that a lot of you are thinking that it was supposed to be taken seriously. Oliver Tree (that's not even his real name) is a performance artist. This cowboy persona is just his most recent shtick.

Oh **** that’s good to know. I honestly cant tell anymore. The whole country is spinning the drain so fast I can’t keep up. It seemed like a joke. But so does a lot of stuff that turns out to be real.

ricstudioc

What's funnier than the OP video is knowing that a lot of you are thinking that it was supposed to be taken seriously. Oliver Tree (that's not even his real name) is a performance artist. This cowboy persona is just his most recent shtick.
Ok - that's what I was thinking as I watched. Was thinking that I actually kinda dug it as a performance piece - I mean, it is kinda funny. As someone noted above, props to the guy "playing" the giant guitar - actually went to the bother of using correct (adjusted for scale) fingerings.

Frank Zappa once said "I make my living selling merchandisable manifestations of my imagination." How is this different? Some folks pee in a bottle and sell it for art - others go for tiny cowboy hats. C'est la vie...

Strummerfan

Ok - that's what I was thinking as I watched. Was thinking that I actually kinda dug it as a performance piece - I mean, it is kinda funny. As someone noted above, props to the guy "playing" the giant guitar - actually went to the bother of using correct (adjusted for scale) fingerings.

Frank Zappa once said "I make my living selling merchandisable manifestations of my imagination." How is this different? Some folks pee in a bottle and sell it for art - others go for tiny cowboy hats. C'est la vie...
I guess I'll take the tiny cowboy hats over the pee in the bottle. Still isn't as bad as Old Town Road.

SwirlyMaple

My initial reaction was “wtf,” but I like weird stuff and by the end I quite enjoyed it. I think it was the full commitment to the absurdity that really sold it, for me.

Also, his cover of Karma Police later in the thread was such a good interpretation that I liked it about as much as the original. It ain’t easy to cover such a well-known and unique song, add your own spice, and have it hold up to the original without sounding contrived.

Dude clearly has loads of talent. All those complaining about him in this thread don’t realize they’re part of the joke.

gonzoknife

Even as a joke I don't think it's good. I found the songs boring and they weren't humorous. It seems he's just doing bland pop while wearing funny outfits. If that's your thing, fine but it doesn't work for me.

WhiskeyTango

Not my style (Ska/punk is my cup of tea). That said, I was entertained. I'm a little familiar with the artist via Virtual Reality rhythm games though, and it was quite a surprise to learn he he was on a mainstream U.S. tv show.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom