Anybody stacking a GSR & Zendrive?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by DaveG, Jul 18, 2008.

1. DaveG

DaveG Gold Supporting Member

I just picked up a GSR (Thanks, Mojoman!), and I was comparing it to my Zendrive; I found that chords sounded a little more articulate with the GSR, but I like the Zen for leads because of it's extra "snarl." Just messing around, I tried running the GSR > Zen, using the GSR for rhythm & hitting the Zen on top of it for leads, and it put a smile on my face... I can't wait to try it at gig volume, with the band.

Anybody else using these two together?

2. Caribou

Caribou Silver Supporting Member

I've tried it but to be honest I've been more interested in the OCD>Zen combo, or even adding a Ts-9 (Keeley) at the end of that. I'm going to revisit the GSR>Zen thing tonight just for giggles....The GSR is a cool pedal, and even though I've had a Zen for almost a year I still feel like I'm just learning the subtleties of tweaking it-- little adjustments seem to yield really noticeable differences in tone.

3. j04n

j04n Member

plush drive >>> zendrive:dude

Or to put it less succinctly, I prefer the sound of the Plush Drive to the Zen at lower volumes, especially. For recording, pushing the one with the other is well worth a try IMO - works for me, esp with single coil pups.

4. DaveG

DaveG Gold Supporting Member

Thanks, guys!
    I've tried a bunch of other pedals, both before & after my Zen, and most of them seem to change the flavor too much, it looses that "snarl" & smooths out too much, ends up sounding too much like the other pedal. The GSR doesn't do that. The other two that work really well for me are the Throbak ODB (set for clean boost) & the Pedalworx Cactus Crunch; either one after the Zen works great, but before they aren't so good.

5. ahltarocka

ahltarocka Supporting Member

I really like the E afte the zen, it gives it great character and mucho sustain on leads. Don't care for the Zen much for chords, I prefer the BOR and Mojo Drive.

Keep on Rockin Me Baby:band:RoCkIn:JAM