Anybody stacking a Tim/Timmy and a Morning Glory?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by christhurman, Feb 28, 2012.

1. christhurman

christhurman Member

Anybody stacking a Tim/Timmy and a Morning Glory? There was one thread about this already, but it hasn't been posted in since June '11... I recently got the MG and have a Tim in the mail. I know their sounds are similarish, but I'm really just looking for more gain stages for my amp which I love, so it should be great.

Right now I'm thinking 4 gain stages...

Clean Amp | MG | MG+Tim | MG+Tim+Boost

:rimshot

2. Heady Jam Fan

Heady Jam Fan Member

It may well have been me discussing them being stacked in June 11... If not, I suppose my opinion can add to it, though it was probably from about that long ago. I found them to be a nice combination - certainly they can fill a similar role, but they do have differences that can make them complementary.

For the MG, I found that I liked it with the bright switch engaged and the overdrive knob has a sweet spot for me as well. It produced a really nice, sweet, top-end overdrive, while the lower end was clean(er), which keeps it from getting muddy and really does a nice Hendrix Little Wing kinda thing, where the upper register distorts and the lower notes stay clean and snappy. However, I found that it worked better as a clean, bright boost on my Bassman (rather than my Blues Junior), it stayed cleaner and I didn't find the same sweet spot when changing the overdrive knob.

When stacking the Timmy into it, I found the combined about of overdrive to be a nice step up and the added brightness of the MG kept it from getting muddy.

Differences: the Timmy is much more versatile and has many sweet spots, though the MG had that sweet top end overdrive while leaving the lower notes cleaner that I wasn't able to copy on the Timmy. If i had to pick one, it would be the Timmy, though I just use my amps overdrive now.

As far as more gain stages, I tended to move toward less pedals and more use of my volume knob. At one point I was running TS9, Timmy, FF, Muff, Distortion then an MXR Micro Amp boost (all very different, more for versatility than stacking). I was able to get any range of distortion out of any of them by using my volume knob to clean up and the boost to get back to unity. For example, you can set the Timmy as dirty as you would consider using it for rhythm, clean it up with your volume, use the boost to get back to unity if need back and then you have volume maxed, Timmy on plus boost for leads. Another option is sticking a kickdisk on the drive knob and adjusting it with your foot. I know more pedals are cool, but this can give you more versatility with out more money and pedalboard real estate.

3. christhurman

christhurman Member

4. christhurman

christhurman Member

5. kmcw

kmcw Member

A good friend of mine (who isn't on tgp) has both on his board and he and I messed with them for awhile the other night. I really loved his MG until I heard the Timmy :)

For me, stacking the MG into the Timmy produced much better results then vice verses. It does work as gain stages but he uses just Timmy as his first gain stage. Then MG into Timmy as second. And adds the Icarus boost as third.

Both are GREAT overdrive pedals. You'll be very pleased!

6. Cosmogang

Cosmogang Member

James Duke stacks them and he sounds great live.

7. christhurman

christhurman Member

Actually he chooses one or the other to stack after his tubescreamer. The Timmy stack is his "most gain" setting, and the mg is just to add some grit over the ts base.

8. christhurman

christhurman Member

I'm already pleased with the MG! I owned a Timmy at one time and liked it, but sold it due to gas ;-)

Excited about putting the Tim on my board today! :bong