Anybody Think the C-Rex Sounded Bright?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by MyTenToes, Jan 25, 2012.

1. MyTenToes

MyTenToes Member

I have very recently put a C-Rex in my DRRI to try and tame some of the brightness. It is DEFINITELY not broken in (only been played at band levels for maybe 3 hours). The one thing I wasn't expecting was how bright it was going to be. At the moment it sounds equally as bright as the stock Jensen.

Has anybody else had this experience? I was expecting a more muffled sound and the highs to come through as the speaker was breaking in.

Everything else was as expected, louder, more headroom etc...

Cheers.

2. dewey decibel

dewey decibel Supporting Member

we eat a lot of cheese and drink a lot of beer
    No. You might want to consider removing the bright cap off the input if you haven't yet, no speaker change is going to change that.

3. MyTenToes

MyTenToes Member

It also sounds rather bright on the normal channel. I didn't swithch out the stock speaker to try and cure the effects of the bright cap with dirt pedals on the vibrato channel but more to lower the general 'brightness' of both channels and make that treble knob a bit more useable. I'm aware that in order to get rid of the dirt fizzies on the vibrato channel the cap must be clipped. I'm just surprised with the overall brightness of the speaker.

4. FFTT

FFTT Member

A broken in C-Rex should deliver a smooth jangle on the top end.

50 hours at band volume.

5. slider313

slider313 Silver Supporting Member

If both channels sound bright then try a different 12at7 in V6 or the phase inverter position.

6. captainbrew

captainbrew Member

The C-Rex is a VERY stiff speaker when new. Also, because of the strong hemp cone it takes longer to break-in than many speakers. The treble will smooth out and the overall tone will balance out once it's broken in. Mine too quite a while even at band volumes to fully balance out. (at least 10x3 hour band rehearsals)

7. Brien

Brien Member

"Bright" is not a word I would use to describe it.

8. Dillow4092

Dillow4092 Member

I put one in a vintage Ampeg Reverberocket to tame the highs, it worked perfectly. I wouldn't say it was bright at all.

9. Madison

Madison Member

A Deluxe Reverb is just a bright amp, period. On my SFDR I've clipped the bright cap, installed a C-Rex speaker, am using old RCA tubes, and the amp sounds great...but it is still a relatively bright amp. You might try a pedal to darken it up some, a Wampler Ecstasy will make it as dark as you need and then some. If you're a straight to the amp guy, there's no getting around it IMO.

10. ickywoods

ickywoods Member

I'd totally agree. Of everything I have (V30, Jensen C12Q, Scumback M55, Mesa Black Shadow) it's by FAR the darkest. One other thing worth mentioning, I found that JJ 12AX7's toned down some of the brightness in my amps when needed, YMMV.

11. aflynt

aflynt Member

It's a bit brighter than the stock Jensen C12-K when played clean, but smooths out more when overdriven. Both speakers really need to be broken in for awhile, though. The Jensen is really zingy and buzzy when overdriven before it's broken in. The CRex is better out of the box, but still mellows out a great deal after a while. I just hook the speaker up to an old stereo receiver tuned to an R&B station, point the cabinet at the floor and cover it with a blanket. I leave it like that for a few days.

-Aaron

12. EZchair Picker

EZchair Picker Member

+1.....it takes longer than most speakers to break in.

13. scorched

scorched Member

CRex is a very warm speaker. Half your problem is the amp and the other half the CRex. Take it out to your garage, lay it on an old blanket, put a cardboard box over it and play loud music through it for about 72 hours. Yeah, bass and drums...everything.

It will come out a different speaker.

14. jamison162

jamison162 Member

The Swamp Thang is one step down from the Crex in terms of brightness, a touch warmer. Large dust cap but also a heavier magnet.

15. JoeB63

JoeB63 Supporting Member

Having tried them both extensively, I guess I'm the only person who prefers the Jensen C12K to the C-Rex in a DR (I'm talking specifically about the amp with the bright cap clipped). The C-Rex is nice, but it eliminates the high-end chime and sweetness that you're supposed to get from a DR. With OD pedals, the C-Rex is smoother for sure, but it also lacks a bit of bite relative to the C12K. The C12K can sound a little bit (just a little) buzzy with OD pedals, but I think that's a necessary side effect of any speaker that has high-end chime when clean --- and you can't hear the buzz once you turn the volume up a bit, OR in the band mix. You only notice it playing at home alone at low volumes, and even then it's not a problem. YMMV.

Joe

16. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

Love the C-Rex. It is NOT a dark speaker, IMO, and can re-produce piercing highs if that's what your amp is putting out. But I don't think it's the "speaker's fault." Just turn the bright switch off and/or turn down the treble. I use the CR in both my brown Deluxe and Deluxe Reverb and just love it!

17. Fenderosa

Fenderosa Member

I have a Deluxe Reverb that came with a Celestion Greenback in it. With any other speaker, the amp sounds very bright. I cliped the bright cap, replaced the electrolytics and put in an EV12L and it is still brighter than my Princeton Reverb, Vibrolux Reverb, Super Reverb and Twin Reverb. I think the the DR is just a very bright amp, even when compared to other blackface style amps.

18. MyTenToes

MyTenToes Member

Okay so I should just bear with it a judge only once the speaker is fully broken in?

19. Shiny McShine

Shiny McShine Member

Yeah, wait a bit. I've found them to be less bright than a vintage Jenson P12N or an Alnico Blue/Gold too. They have a different mid range than a G12H and a G12M but I have a hard time describing this stuff in words.

20. ericb

ericb Silver Supporting Member

Yep agree entirely . I don't like to clip a bright cap or turn off the bright switch in the DR, but I do however turn my treble down quite a bit! :) Very much agree with Leon's assessment of the Cannabis Rex. I have them in cabs I use with LOTS of amps, and they're not dark speakers, but chewy /smoky/thick sounding and they definitely will reproduce piercing highs, but they're amongst my favorites ever.. . Good luck
    Eric