Anybody Think the C-Rex Sounded Bright?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by MyTenToes, Jan 25, 2012.

1. GA20T

GA20T Member

In my 6g2, swapping a C-Rex in for the 10" Weber alnico added good low end and a good helping of mids/upper mids, in exchange for a loss of high treble/detail (not great but not bad with my particular amp). The 6g2 can sound congested & overly bright in the upper mids at higher volume and I found that the C-Rex didn't really help with the inherent brightness, so much as shift it lower in the frequency range.

Replacing the Oxford 12" alnico in my Magnatone 440, which tends to either be overly scooped (bass craps out, treble is piercing) or all mids (still overly bright), it brought everything right back to where it should be, tightened & fattened the bass, provided better breakup & more volume, and rolled off the annoying highs yet let the good stuff shine.

It's kind of a crapshoot, unless you are intimately familiar with both the speaker & the circuit in the first place. I had a DRRI rented while a few of my amps were having work done, and to be honest I didn't feel they were overly bright so much as "hard", attack-wise, in the upper frequencies. I thought the standard speaker sounded quite alright, and I tend to like warm amps, though the fact that it was a several year old rental would indicate that the speaker was well broken in. It was my impression that it had more to do with biasing or some other part of the circuit that didn't allow softer clipping in the upper frequencies; something I've come to associate with the sound of modern production Fender amps. If I had bought the reissue, I'd have had it properly biased, maybe put some better tubes in it, and tried out the bright cap mod right off the get go, trying to get it as right sounding as possible, and then shopped around for the right flavour of speaker.

2 cents

2. candid_x

candid_x Supporting Member

My C-Rex was never bright in my DRRI, new or well broken in, and I have the bright cap intact. Wouldn't ever compare it to the stock Jensen brightness wise. They sound pretty flat and lifeless until they're broken in, which takes some doing. Totally different sounding speaker once broken in.

Might you have over tightened the speaker mount bolts? If so, back them out and just snug them up evenly. Frame warp can do weird things to the sound. Or it may just be a bad sample C-Rex.

3. MyTenToes

MyTenToes Member

Ahhhh I hope it's not a bad one, that'd be very unlikely wouldn't it? I don't think I over-tightened it. When I installed it I just hand tightened the nuts and then a couple of small twists with a wrench. I didn't force them tight at all and no effort is required to tighten them from how tight they are now.

4. candid_x

candid_x Supporting Member

Then I don't believe the C-Rex is the problem, if it's a healthy one. Yes, Emi has been good for me r.e. quality control. Couple things that mellow my DRRI, besides the C-Rex, are Tung Sol ri 6V6's and JAN Phillips 12AX7 in V2, Tung Sol 12AX7ri in V1. Also a proper biasing can make a significant difference. I also never play it with the volume lower the 3 1/2, and turn my guitar volume down a touch. Even with bright cap, I definitely would not call it a bright sounding amp with the C-Rex. Depending on which Strat I play, the treble is set between 4 1/2 and 5. I could not do that with the Weber Sig 12B, which was bright, nor even with the RWB, nor the Pure64 SSll, which has fairly tame highs. I'd give your tubes and bias a serious consideration. So many say clip the bright cap, but that only makes a significant difference if your playing with the volume well below 4 and use distortion. I like the bright cap at my levels, especially played clean with the C-Rex, or the Pure 64.

5. FFTT

FFTT Member

I found the C-Rex a bit too bottom heavy for my needs
    but really liked it at just under half volume with my R12R
    as long as I played in the middle to bridge pickup positions.

It likes single coils better in my experience for rhythm work.

This is the speaker after 50+ hours in rehearsal and two live shows.