Anybody tried a Recording King Harmonella?

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by bgmacaw, May 14, 2015.

1. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Member

I happened to notice this new(?) model, the Recording King Harmonella, tonight and it looks kind of interesting. It's kind of a copy of the classic Stella or other catalog guitars from the 1930's to 1960's. I've been looking at some vintage guitars like this but what I've seen have been in a questionable state of repair. So, this might be a viable option for only $200 or so.

Anybody tried one out, even bought one?

2. zombywoof

zombywoof Member

If you like the guitar and it brings a smile to your face then buy it. But don't buy into all the marketing crap about the guitar being like those made in the 1930s. The Dirties Thirties line is far from it.

3. tklectro

tklectro Member

...guitars in the Thirties were made out of wood that was old when they made the guitar. I have an old Harmony archtop from late 30's/early 40's, and I can't imagine anyone building a guitar that light and dried out and resonate today. I did just try a Recording King Martin D-18 style dreadnought that felt and looked great, but it will YEARS before it sounds as good as it looks.

4. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Member

The 50's to 60's Stella and Harmony acoustics I've seen in person or considered bidding on at eBay in the same price range have significant issues, such as warped and/or separating necks or body damage. I'm not looking for a repair special or spending a lot on a vintage acoustic in great condition. I'd grab one if I thought it was a good deal and was in decent shape but people have started treating them like they were pre-war Martins. I wish I hadn't passed on some back in the 90's when I was doing a lot more estate and storage unit auctions and such.

I'm mainly looking at some inexpensive, small body, acoustics under $300. This one and the Gretsch Jim Dandy are the main ones I'm looking at right now.

5. Crazyquilt

Crazyquilt Guitar Dad Silver Supporting Member

I actually have one coming today. It was a stupid impulse buy, but it costs about the same as a pedal and might be a lot more fun. I have no illusions it will be anything like an 80 year old guitar, but it might be a fun piece. If it's crap, I'll either return it or my wife & I will turn it into an art guitar. In any event, I'll report back with what I find.

6. lamenlovinit

lamenlovinit Member

Not at all the same thing. But, at this point, if I wanted a unique "old timey" sounding, good looking instrument in the $300 to $400 range, I'd look at one of the wooden Gretsch resonators. I'm all about Nationals personally, but in that price range, I'd rather play one of those gretsch than what you're looking at. Give some demos a listen on youtube. Smallish body. doesn't sound like an X-braced guitar. Priced where you want it.

I actually like a number of RK retro guitars. These not so much.