Anybody tried DVD's from Allstarmusiclessons.com?

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by dorfmeister, Oct 8, 2008.

1. dorfmeister

dorfmeister Member

2. townsend

townsend Member

There's a short thread on this somewhere . . . I was once commenting on the fantastic funk guitar playing of Burnett, as demonstrated on the video sample clips.

Carl does hang around the TGP.

Someone in the thread had the Burnett video, but didn't really say a lot about it. Sorry I can't be of more help.

3. TonyV

TonyV Member

I would recommend the Alan Hinds dvds
    The Carl Burnett is good, fairly basic but good info and presentation.

The Ripoll dvd's are awful, DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY There is some value in the rhythm playing video, but he really imparts nothing I am sure you do not already know, besides it is covered better in the Burnett dvd.
    There is absolutely nothing new in this Guitar Positioning System, basically you are told to practice scale, chord and arpeggio in all keys up the neck. How enlightening, I needed him to tell me that.
    He recommends a 30 minute warm up and it is practicing by rote, non-musical exercises. I was particular amused by the finger exercise, which he says then prepares you to play things like rhythm changes, why the hell not just practice rhythm changes. At th end of this warmup he actually encourages you to just noodle.

4. dorfmeister

dorfmeister Member

Anything else on these?