Anybody tried LAVA instrument cable?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by saowenusss, Feb 13, 2012.

1. saowenusss

saowenusss Member

I'm about to pull the trigger on almost $500 worth of Lava solderless cable today. I figured I may as well buy some instrument cable while I'm at it. Has anybody tried the Blue Demon, Pink Diamond, Magma or Tweed cables? If so, what is your opinion of the product? The only thing I have used up to this point is LiveWire instrument/patch cables. Also, just for fun, should I go blue or black cable?

2. 78deluxe

78deluxe Member

The Blue Demon and the Pink Diamond are the same cable with a different color jacket and printing.

I own a Blue Demon...not my favorite cable out of the Lava lineup.

I prefer the Soar and the Ultramafic for tone. The Blue Demon I have on hand mostly for a robust backup, as it seems like it should be able to take a beating.

The Blue Demon is a low cap cable and rather bright for its length, doesn't roll off the high end. May be a good thing or bad thing depending on your rig.

3. thesooze

thesooze Member

Using Magmas. Sound killer!

4. tonejunky

tonejunky Member

The tweeds are ELCs with tweed coverings.

With or without the tweed, they're great.

5. slackandsteel

slackandsteel Member

I have a 20' ELC cable - nice cable, but doesn't sound as good as my 20' Evidence Audio Melody cable. ELC is duller sounding.

I play mostly clean into a Fender DR with Gibsons and Fenders.

6. inystad

inystad Member

Dull to what degree? I'm considering either Lava ELCs or Evidence Lyric HG...

7. slackandsteel

slackandsteel Member

The ELC is a good sounding cable, better sounding than cheap cable for sure, and better sounding (to me anyway) than the Sommer Spirit, which I really didn't like. I wouldn't call them dull-sounding, but there is a perceptible difference between the ELC and the Evidence Melody, at least when playing alone at home, I can definitely hear the difference. I'll use the ELC on gigs, but at home, the Evidence wins. That being said, I prefer the ELC for flexibility - the Evidence is not great in that respect.

I've also used George L's and Bill Lawrence, both of which sound good to me, but I prefer the Evidence a bit to those (less toppy high end).

I'm no cork-sniffer when it comes to this stuff, but I've been playing a long time and I think I have pretty good ears. My gear is nice but certainly not high-end.

The guy who owns Lava is a nice guy and easy to work with - he readily exchanged the Sommer cable when I told him it didn't work for me and suggested the Melody, which was a good suggestion given my budget and my preferences.

8. meterman

meterman Member

$500 worth of solderless, woooo!!! Must be some big board you're putting together :D

I use Mini-ELC on my pedalboard with the solderless connectors and a regular Lava ELC instrument cable. The pedalboard stuff is great and the instrument cable is very sturdy, thick heavy duty cable that sounds great. I stressed the jack on it and it got intermittent on me, Lava fixed it no problem.

I would definitely go with the black wire for solderless, in my experience it is just a hair thinner than the blue wire and therefore much easier to assemble the solderless plugs. I use the blue Lava mini ELC I got for going from board to amp.

9. ChorusCrackpot

ChorusCrackpot Member

I have a Soar cable which is pretty nice. I got it just before they released the Ultramafic.

I also have the patch cable kits and they are really good too.

10. big mike

big mike Moderator - EL34 Emeritas Staff Member

I've been using the clear connect for a long while. I like it.
    pedalboard is solderless.

I used to be a dealer. Good guys to work with.

11. Heady Jam Fan

Heady Jam Fan Member

They are all great / better than most or all other cables I have tried and the lifetime warranty makes it a great value too.

12. 78deluxe

78deluxe Member

FYI - Lava hasn't carried Evidence in quite a while.

I own both Melody as well as Lyric HGs (in addition to the Lavas posted above)... love the tone of the Lyric, but I have had some issues with them cutting out and popping, so I'd agree perhaps not the best live use choice for all people. And I'm very careful with my cables.

13. Last Nerve

Last Nerve Supporting Member

Lava customer service is second to none, IME.
    I have the Sommer Spirit XXLs and think they're great!

14. Funky Monkey

Funky Monkey Member

Lava Blue Demon is great cable. I picked up a pair strictly for my effects loop, where they're perfectly neutral, but I had forgotten my normal guitar cable (a Zaolla Silverline, which I know very well) one night so used a Blue Demon instead. They've since become interchangeable...I really cannot tell a difference in tone, they react the same and are equally quiet. And I had chosen the Zaolla after having tried countless others at all price points; had the Blue Demon been available back then, I'd have saved $110.

15. smoothsteve87

smoothsteve87 Member

I have the Magma cables from guitar to board and from board to amp! I like them a lot. I really want the ELC cables but dont want to drop that kind of money. I also use lava for my board as well.

16. ShredSquatch

ShredSquatch Conspiracy Experience Director & Stunt Guitarist Silver Supporting Member

I changed over to LAVA and LOVE it! I can totally hear a difference in other solderless and LAVA. The "others" sounded thinner and bright. The Lava to me is very round and warm.

I also use the Clear Connect instrument cables as well. I keep meaning to get a white cooly cable but they go pretty fast...

Just get 1 small lava solderless cable and test it with what you have now. I will be surprised if you don't make the switch!

17. billboy73

billboy73 Member

I had been wondering about this. I had a friend, who has been running his board with the Lava mini ELC for a while, help me when I ran the kit with my board. I got the blue cable and we had some problems with the cables. He was thinking maybe something is up with the blue cable, as he had never used it and had not had problems with the black.

18. meterman

meterman Member

yeah at least in my experience it's just a bit thicker, not sure if it's just the plastic sleeve or the cable itself. Took me a while to figure out what was going on....But when you try to push the cable end through the little sleeve in the solderless plug, it's very hard to get any of the copper ground shield through b/c there is not enough room for it. The black cable on the other hand seems to have plenty of room to get some of that braided copper shielding through and assembly is much easier. I still use the blue cable I just use soldered ends on it and it sounds great. Black for solderless though!