Anybody tried the Durham Sex Dirve & Timmy? Difference?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Glowing Tubes, Jul 14, 2008.

1. Glowing Tubes

Glowing Tubes Gold Supporting Member

Sounds like these both cover very similar areas. I love my Timmy but sometimes wonder about the Durham.

Any real differences?

Thanks

RC

2. Burgs

Burgs Member

I have both and the only thing they have in common is that they can both be used as a boost.

The Sex Drive is designed to be clean, perhaps more hi-fi boost. It does this very well. Country players swear by them and I can understand why - it makes my Tele and Strat really sing sweetly while adding a certain clean depth that I've not heard in any other pedal. It's really hard to turn it off, and that's a good thing.

The Tim and Timmy on the other hand are fabulous boosts as well. But that's not all they do. When you wind down the gain, treble and bass fully CCW, you're left with the volume control which you can then dial CW to give you a really sweet, clean boost. At around 2pm you start to hit unity gain and after that it's just more, more, more clean boosty goodness. You should remember that Paul (Cochrane) designed the Tim originally to be a boost. The OD bonus part of it (or them if you include the Timmy) is the happy result of its clipping section sounding great and being improved on because it did sound so good (Paul correct me if I'm wrong here). That same OD is now regarded as one of the best 'amp-like' ODs on the market. Maybe THE best.

To my ears the boost components of these two pedals do not sound the same. However, they both have their charms and are equally as valuable to me. If I had to pick the most 'transparent' boost then I would probably say that the Timmy takes that award. The Sex Drive was designed to add a little something and I can tell you that that 'little something' is very cool indeed. That said, the Sex Drive will cost you double the price of the Timmy and take up nearly twice the space on your board so you need to take that into consideration as well. The wait for a Timmy can be as long as 4-6 months too.

Hope this helps.

3. nibus

nibus Supporting Member

Sex drive - Boost
    Timmy - OD

Way different

4. Glowing Tubes

I'm getting a Tim soon. Should be great! I love the Timmy!
    The reason of my asking is I'm wondering if it would be somewhat redundant to have both on my pedalboard.

5. radcliff

radcliff Member

The difference is I've been through two Timmys....but I still have my Sexdrive:)

6. Grant Ferstat

Grant Ferstat Some guy in obscure bands in a far away place... Silver Supporting Member

I've been through two Sexdrives and still have my Timmy...

In all seriousness both great pedals.

Personally I prefer the Timmy as a low-mid gain OD than as a clean boost but it's very hard to beat for sheer versatility and (if you don't mind the wait) value for money.

The Sexdrive is a great vibey boost pedal that'll give you some sing and a bit of extra clarity and sheen to your tone.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2008
  7. nibus

nibus Supporting Member

Absolutely not - they go great together. i put my SD before all my OD's to push them harder.

8. NewarkWilder

NewarkWilder Member

ive got a SD on the way to put right in front my Tim... can't wait!!

9. Glowing Tubes

I'm curious as to the stack-ability of those two pedals, give a report when you get it if you'd be so kind.

10. NewarkWilder

NewarkWilder Member

will do!

in theory they should work beautifully together