Anybody tried the RM Red Lion kit '' Band of Gypsies '' ?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by EXP, Jun 13, 2006.

1. EXP

EXP Supporting Member

i just recieved a Vox reissue wah in a trade and want to get it modded. i was thinking about Roger Mayer's Red Lion kit. anybody tried the BOG version?

2. LL1

LL1 Supporting Member

I have a BOG in a crybaby box. Sounds pretty good...I tend to use it more for a lead wah solo then a rhythm wah. Still works good either way, just not subtle enough for me all the time.
    Takes fuzz well in front of it, did not do much with fuzz after it. I have not tried it with a silicon fuzz though.
    I was actually going to get the other Reg. version and realized while I was looking that it was hard to find a BOG version.
    Pretty easy to swap in and out, I would try both if you can swing it.

3. retro

retro Member

Do the Mayer Red Lion kits work in a Vox wah?

It would be good to know if it does.

4. EXP

EXP Supporting Member

do you have clips of the BOG?

5. EXP

EXP Supporting Member

whats the difference between the '' Wide Range '' and the BOG Red Lion kit?

6. retro

retro Member

Since I don't have the BOG, this is what I've read. However, I haven't found my standard wide range Red Lion to be bright or thin through my rig at all.
    But it sounds like the BOG may be fatter sounding?

"The new Band of Gypsies Red Lion is designed to produce a smoother high frequency response with stronger, warmer mid frequency drive than the standard Red Lion. It is the same voicing that Roger developed for Jimi for the Band Of Gypsies tour and is a little more flexible for a variety of styles of music. The standard Red Lion is brighter sounding with a high frequency response that was designed to bring lead runs to the front."

7. drolling

drolling Member

Gotta admit, those mods sound interesting, but if that wah you just picked up's a V-847, it's one of my faves - best production wah out there, IMNSHO. Really nails those classic Jimi 'n' Eric tones right out the box, without swapping out half the parts on the board.

Of course, it's defintely got to be true-bypassed. Like all classic wahs, it's the worst tone-sucker on the planet. But DP/DT switches are cheap now, and there's good tutorials (w/pics) all over the net that'll walk you thru' this simple mod.

I also stuck a FoxRox booster in mine so I can use it in front of a fuzz/octavia, where it's supposed to be.

8. EXP

EXP Supporting Member

LL1, is your crybaby BOG fat sounding?

9. LL1

LL1 Supporting Member

Seems to cut thru the mix in a live setting more than my RMC3, although not tweakable and I usually have a compressor on with the RMC which I did not have with me.
    I used it tonight at practice to listen a little closer, and my impressions were that it was very full sounding throughout the range of the wah(no empty eq spots), it also had a nice sweep range, and was voiced really well, sounded nice and smooth.
    I guess you could say it sounds pretty fat, my only comparisons would be a RMC3, Singing Geisha, a Crybaby 535? or something and the BOG modded Crybaby. I have not had the fortune to dive into the wah world to deep. Probably a few others I might try first
    Hope this helps!

10. EXP

EXP Supporting Member

i thought it was tuneable internally? it says it is in the description:

''It features continuous variable wah tuning over a wide range that will enable players to easily find their own sweet wah sound very quickly.''

yes, that helps alot thanks. there is very little info on the BOG kit

11. EXP

EXP Supporting Member

looks like it only fits on Dunlop crybaby housing(jacks mounted on the PCB) but the 9090A kit does fit Vox

12. EXP

EXP Supporting Member

my vox is trashed, so im getting a Pro Analog Supa Quack.