1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Anybody tried Weber 10" AlNiCo Blue pups?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by teddy boy, Sep 27, 2006.

1. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

Gents,

I've been wondering about changing the speakers on my Monster El Mariachi 15W EL84 amp. It now has 2 Celestion G10 75th Anniversaries and although I quite dig them now that they are broken in I can't help to feel I could get a more vintage-voxey sound with AlNiCo equipped speakers. The Weber 10" Blue Pups ( https://taweber.powweb.com/weber/ ) seem perfect for the bill... in theory!

So, anybody tried them and what are your experiences? Can the 20W speakers handle a 15W amp properly or should I go with the 30W version?

Also, any love for Fane 10" speakers?

2. Mullet Kingdom

Mullet Kingdom Senior Member

I haven't tried them yet, but I've been wanting to. Ditto on the Silver 10s. Wouldn't mind having two of each in a 4X10. :drool

3. doc

doc Member

I have a Blue Pup in a Thomas Vox Cambridge Reverb and it works extremely well. Very nice speaker for that application. I would think you'd be fine to use the lower wattage model unless you plan on playing turned full up all the time - the lower wattage model will be a tad more sensitive (and thus give you a bit more volume).

4. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

I've got a pair of the ceramic pups in an open back cab. Very nice sound with low wattage amps-quite sweet...

5. go7

go7 Member

I have one in my Emmery Sound Superbaby Cabinet. IMHO if you`re after that size and sound .The best! Sometimes I have to look to make sure all that sound is coming out of that cab .Distorts smooth and nice all round speaker.

6. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

Thanks for the answers gents. Looks like I'll be ordering a couple of 20W Blue Pups in the near future. Do you think these Webers will be louder or quiter than my Celestion G10's? I'm looking to quieten down a bit too...

7. Grant Ferstat

Grant Ferstat Some guy in obscure bands in a far away place... Silver Supporting Member

I just tried an Alnico Blue Pup in my Trace Velocette instead of the stock the Celestion Vintage 10", and much to my surprise I didn't like it any more than the Celestion. It's probably more due to the amp than anything else but I guess I was just expecting a sweeter sound with a bit more compression out of the Blue Pup. I found it actually sounded pretty boxy in the small cab and had a bit less low-end on tap.

I have a Silver 10' on order which should be a bit smoother. Interestingly when I placed my Silver 10 order Ted advised I get the higher wattage version even though the Trace is a 15 watter. May have been a "peak" issue seeing as it's only a single speaker amp.

8. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

I put a 12" Blue Dog in my Carmen Ghia's 1x12" as an experiment... too much crunch at bark for the cleans I wanted... It broke up really, really early. Sounded great for Led Zep or Tom Petty type grind. I'm not sure I would want to play with that kind of sound the whole time, so I put the C12MZ ceramic 12" back in... I am not sure if that speaker ever got a chance to open up or if it would have smoothed out some or a bunch... Oh, well...

9. CitizenCain

CitizenCain Member

A buddy of mine has a 10" Blue Pup alnico in a Tru-Tone 1x10 cab that he drives with an Epi Valve Jr head. It's a surprising setup. Gives some of the boutiqers a run for their money!

10. teefus

teefus Silver Supporting Member

i have an alnico blue pup in a trutone 2x10 with a weber thames. nice, thick sound. 2 of my favorite weber speakers.

11. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

Thanks for your comments. They are really appreciated. What Realfi said got me a little concerned. I wonder if they work better in a 2 x 10 configuration in a bigger cabinet such as I have in the Monster? Also, how does the Silver Pup differ from the Blue pup?

12. Reeek

Reeek Member

I have a 2x10 JDesign cab loaded with two Weber alnico Blue Pups. I play it mostly with my Hi Mu 7 watt 6V6GT recording head and I love it. I haven't cranked a lot fo wattage through it though. But I did buy them in 30 watt power handling.

With a humbucker equipped guitar with high output pickups through that Hi Mu, the tone and response is outstanding. I recommend those speakers.

I would expect the Silver Pup to be a bit darker with more low end response. I prefer the Blue Pups myself. Great tonal balance.

13. Grant Ferstat

Grant Ferstat Some guy in obscure bands in a far away place... Silver Supporting Member

I think my Blue Pup experiences are probably very much due to the very small cabinet & general brightness of the Trace Velocette although the std Celestion did have a bit more low end extension. I found in that cab with that amp that the Blue Pup did have more "give" but stayed very bright until I really turned up.

The Silver 10" should be a bit smoother right off the bat. In a 2 x 10" configuration I'd be tempted to try one of each for fun.

14. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

Anybody tried any other AlNiCo 10" speakers? Fane anyone?

15. LARRY GERSHON

LARRY GERSHON Silver Supporting Member

I have a pair for sale- email me and I can figure out a price but I would like to move them- email guit1@comcast.net

16. dorfmeister

dorfmeister Member

I am thinking of using one in a Freda cab which is a detuned ported type cab. Any thoughts?

mintyhippo likes this.
  17. dorfmeister

dorfmeister Member

???