Anybody try a G12H30/V30 combo in a Bluesbreaker combo?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Blueshound, Mar 12, 2008.

1. Blueshound

Blueshound Member

I had a cab (closed back) with the G12H30/V30 combo and loved it. Has anybody here tried that same combo with a Bluesbreaker/JTM45 style amp (open back)?

I know the Marshall reissue comes with Greenbacks as does the Germino version, but I have never like them-they just seem too ratty to me.

Any feedback is appreciated.

Lee

2. Blueshound

Blueshound Member

3. joel98z

joel98z Member

Not the same amp, but I have a G12H30 and V30 in a Peavey classic 50 and it breathes new life into it. This is a great combo for sure, and works well for may amp/cab configs.

4. chris b

chris b Member

I have an Avatar Vintage OS 2x12 which is a bluesbreaker open back design with a Hellatone 30 and Hellatone 60 which are broken in G1230s and v30s. I've used it for my last 4 gigs and it's had as much a positive effect on my tone as anything I've bought in years.

I'm running a Marshall DSL50 through it and it's made the Marshall sound better than it ever has. The G1230s low mids and the v30s high mids really do balance each other out nicely and provde great clean, crunch or heavily distorted tones.

I used to run the DSL through my Marshall TSL100 2x12 combo. I figured it was a practical way of having a backup on stage in case anything went wrong. When I A/B'd the cabs side by side, I could'nt believe how much bigger,richer and fuller the Avatar sounded and I think the speakers are a big factor.

Chris

5. GDS Racing

GDS Racing Member

I have a 2-12 extension cabinet in red tolex with that compliment of speakers and it sounds excellent. It is a semi open back cab so it should be pretty similar to a BB combo. It has good bottom end and a slightly scouped mid. The two speakers are similar in efficiency so the overal tone really is a mix of the two speakers.

If you are in the Detroit area, you are welcome to drop by and try it out.

6. Blueshound

Blueshound Member

Thanks for the feedback guys. Ii is much appreciated. I have a Germino Masonette I'm going to load with the G12H30/V30 combo. Judging from what you guys are saying, it should be cool. I wish I could take Graydon up his offer, members like him are why TGP is such a cool place.

Thanks again guys.

Lee