Anybody try NOS tubes in a Deliverance 60?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by DEMENTED, Mar 20, 2008.

1. DEMENTED

DEMENTED Supporting Member

I have a VHT Deliverance D60 and was wondering if anybody here has tried NOS tubes in one. I will sometime soon and thought maybe there would be some suggestions as where to start.

2. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    What's the tube lineup in that amp?

3. DEMENTED

Two KT88's and four 12AX7's.

4. SgtThump

SgtThump Member

I have new reissue Tung Sol 6550s in the power section and RFTs in v1 and v2. The RFTs seem to give it more of a "throaty" tone. Real nice!

5. Kelly

Kelly Member

V1: Sovtek WB or Chinese (mine came with Chinese)
    V2-V4: Chinese
    Power tubes: Sovtek KT88

I've tried a couple old preamp tubes. The only one that was an improvement over stock was a RCA in V1, although it is a little less bright. The new Sig:X comes with a Tung Sol in V1. I should bring my Deliverance over to your shop sometime Mike and try out some different tubes.

6. markp

markp Member

New tungsol v1 Brimar V2 JJ803 V3 EH v4,tunsol 6550s.
    Stock silver plate 12ax7a's had to much treble issues.

I am very interested in this thread,I love the feal of this amp but not there yet.The RFTs have peaked my interest.

I hope Torn and Matte chime in.

7. Kelly

Kelly Member

David Torn uses some kind of NOS tubes in his I think.

8. jbird

jbird Member

Trying to revive this thread! New tubes coming up for my D60, just wondering if there's any new revelations?

9. DEMENTED

I tried a Mullard 12AX7 in V1 and didn't get a noticeable difference, hmmmm.

10. jbird

jbird Member

OK then, I have a review! My stock V1 went bad, so I went to a local amp bulder/tube guru (tubesonic audio)! He recommended a couple of NOS tubes he had come into, but were going fast! 1st, an RFT (made in Germany), which said would increase the brightness, I was thinking thats not really what I want, even though I do like things on the treble side! 2nd was (and get this) a NOS 70's Mullard (labeled Westinghouse) made in Japan at the Matsushida (sp?) facility! I was able to hear the two in a Fender Twin that happened to be in the shop for the same reason (just for comparison) and actually liked the RFT in the Twin, but the Mullard, while not as bright still had a nice top end, but just a more broader spectrum, much more mids and bottom! I knew that would do it for me! Just for kicks, he threw in a used Sovtek WA, and everything kinda got muddled up, I mean not bad, but really in a different ball park, I guess I'm a tube snob now? Anyways, I am more than impressed with this tube in V1 (The matsushida Mullard), while the entire spectrum is extended, it's not near too much of anything, very rich sounding! The crunch/gain/distortion is what is really doing it for me! Not brittle, very complex, 3-D, dimensional, actually not as tight feeling, a little more juicy, yet as mentioned, the frequency spectrum is expanded! Just a beautiful thing! I am sold! This amp Rocks now!:RoCkIn:BEER