anybody try the GT 6L6 CHP blackplate yet?

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by trap, Jul 31, 2008.

1. trap

trap Supporting Member

title says it all. just curious. apparently a repro of the rca blackplate according to brent jesse tubes. wouldn't that be nice?

2. trey85stang

trey85stang Member

I want to try them. but I havent.

3. Doug's Tubes

Doug's Tubes Member

Not even the designer of the tube, Groove Tubes makes that claim on its website. Its made of blackplate material, but thats where the physical similarity ends. The GT tube has heat sink wings, a top getter and taller bottle versus the RCA's shorter bottle, and side or bottom getters. That being said, the GT is a sweet sounding tube with a nice overdrive to it. Fender is using it OEM in the Hot Rod Deluxe and Deville.

4. trap

trap Supporting Member

yeah, i noticed that. brent jesse definitely makes the word connection to the rca. i thought maybe it was modeled after the older rca which i thought was a top getter.

5. zombiwoof

zombiwoof Supporting Member

I believe it is the same tube as the TAD large bottle 6L6 relabeled by GT.

Al

6. gldtp99

gldtp99 Member

That's exactly what i was thinking---http://thetubestore.com/tad.html

7. Structo

Structo Member

If it's the tube I'm thinking of Aspen started out by saying that it was going to be made in the USA, then backpeddled when questioned about it.
    Some of the parts are made here but then everything is shipped to China and assembled there.
    Our DEQ restrictions are too severe for that type of manufacturing here.

8. Ascension

Ascension Member

I have a set of the GT Blackplate CHP's in the Red one off Zinky custom 100 watt Prosonic head I got from Brad Whitford. I bought them from Doug and they were well matched. I have played them out a few times and so far so good. They sound great in this amp and are STRONG but time will tell if they can take the brutal beating this beast will give um!!
    I have a NOS pair of RCA Blackplate 6L6's in my normal Prosonic head. I don't think these seem quite as smooth on the overdriven tones but the Red head is so trick and unique it is hard to tell for sure. They are powerfull and have a tight bottom in this amp that is for sure!! the cleans are killin but seem a little hard when you really push it into power tube distortion . However this blasted thing has more clean headroom than any Blackface Twin I have ever played through so it may just be nuking my cab!! We are talking approching phisical PAIN threshold levels at anything above 3 while standing in front of the cab playing clean on this thing!!
    This is loudest 100 watt head I have ever heard!!!

Last edited: Aug 3, 2008
  9. HipKitty

HipKitty Silver Supporting Member

Personally, I can't confirm or deny....or get any confirmation/denial out of TAD or GT about these posibbly being the same tube or not.

Either way, both are great sounding tubes.