• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Anybody tune down a whole step?

dmr34

Quite a few threads about tuning down a half step... Does anybody (meaning your band) tune down a whole step, just to make the vocals that much easier?

Echoplexi

Gold Supporting Member
We tune down to c# but not specifically for the singer. It's just common in our genre

greenhilander

We do but only to play the songs in the proper keys. We do a few Volebeat songs. Guitars are tuned to straight D. Not to make it easier for the vocalist. I'm a stickler about playing covers as they are on the recording. Yea I lug a lot of axes to shows. We even do some drop B stuff.

ripple

To keep fresh, keep capped & cold.
Gold Supporting Member
I just started doing this with one of my Strats, for personal use/goofing off at home, and it's a neat change. Gives the guitar an faux-baritone tonality, and once I adjusted to the string tension, I found myself REALLY liking it.

Almost too much actually, considering our band would never consider tuning down as a unit.

I love to grab the "D" strat for surf guitar, swampy stuff and any Robin Trower.

Yer Blues

I use to play off/on with a cover band who would tune down to D for everything. They were on the "heavier" side though so it worked out pretty well for that stuff.

custom53

There is a couple of tunes we use to do that we tune down a whole step.. But not for vocals, because the songs are recorded that way..

Here is one.. Basically it is tuned to "D" and then Drop "C"..

micycle

One of the bands I'm in does, apparently they started doing that because it was easier for the horns to play along (I joined a few years after they started). It definitely adds a different vibe to the music. Thank goodness for the Digitech Drop pedal, that's all I can say!

27sauce

We play a few songs that are in drop C# on the original recording. Generally whatever the original is in. We've dropped keys on maybe 10 between our 2 singers. A couple a whole step, most a half.

lp_bruce

Silver Supporting Member
I sometimes tune one of my acoustics down a full step. There are a few songs I play that are easier to sing/play there and I kinda' like the rumbling tone.

Peace,

paranoid70

Just a half step, and man it makes things so much easier. We do several tunes that were originally recorded in D# in addition to those recorded in standard. Do them all in D# and I don't have to constantly retune or switch guitars.

That being said, we do one song where I tune to D. I think the song was actually recorded in C, but the strings are way too loose that way.

Jim Soloway

I have two guitars that I play regularly. My #1 player is kept tuned down to D and the other is tuned down to C#. I'm playing mostly solo instrumental music, so it has nothing to do with vocals. I just prefer the sound of the instrument that way.

lp_bruce

Silver Supporting Member
I have two guitars that I play regularly. My #1 player is kept tuned down to D and the other is tuned down to C#. I'm playing mostly solo instrumental music, so it has nothing to do with vocals. I just prefer the sound of the instrument that way.
It definitely sounds different and people should give it a try if they want a change. With my acoustic trio, I frequently capo up to provide a different sound/voicing from another guitar and a mando. I tuned down to D as an experiment to provide an alternate approach and I liked it. I rarely play that way in the trio (thought I'm using DADGAD a fair bit), but my Ovation is almost always tuned down a full step.

Peace,

Bogner

I use a lot of different tunings...depends on the music style and song. I have personally found that various tunings can be a great inspiration for writing new riffs and songs or if you hit a wall creatively. Often times I have tuned differently and it inspired a spark of creativity to break out of that rut.

muzishun

I would like to go to D

But I need my guitars for Eb and standard, and without a set up, D is too extreme.

So I have 1 in D standard, for a handful of songs we do. For now.

I like the sound and range of D, but Eb feels the best.

The heavy gauge i use for D has it's drawbacks.

Jim Soloway

The heavy gauge i use for D has it's drawbacks.
If you use really heavy strings they can have intonation issues at the bottom of the neck and the low end can get boomy. I have a really light touch so I use fairly light strings and just try not to drive them too hard. I do need at least a 25.5" scale length to make it work though.