Anybody use a Bassman Head...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by zzmoore, May 24, 2008.

1. zzmoore

zzmoore Member

(Un-Modified) for their main gigging amp? Been doing it long, what pedals are you using, any comments from other players about your tone, what speakers, etc. etc. Would be interested to hear how it works for you.;)
    Thank You

2. Kelly

Kelly Member

Used one for a year with a country/classic rock band. I had a Tubescreamer, Fulltone '69, and Lexicon Jamman delay. Worked very well for that gig. I'm using a VHT now. I bought it for higher gain stuff, but the cleans are better than the Bassman (which is now collecting dust).

3. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars Member

I am using a mint condition(read museum quality)'67 Bassman with a bunch:tu-2>barber TP>barberSF>hermidaZendrive>ce-2>dd-3 to guitars.I use a pair of Hermida 1x12's(open back and ported)and Scumbacks (55/75 combo of HP's).

4. ROKY

ROKY Member

I just got a '62 Blonde(recovered dark brown) that I plan to use in one of
    my band projects.

Main effects I'll be using are:

Guyatone tube trem,Everman Fuzz Drive,HBE Germacide,Blackbox Quicksilver delay.

Cab will be Avatar Premier Vintage with a pair of Celestion Golds.
    Fave guitar so far is my DeArmond Starfire special w/ the 2K single coils,
    and faux-bigsby.

Only had this amp for a day but as soon as I plugged in could see why
    so many people dig this amp.

5. wgs1230

wgs1230 Fully Intonatable Silver Supporting Member

It's been a while, but I did it for a couple of years. Used 50w Utahs for a while, then a pair of '80s Cele 65s in the 2x12 bottom. Ran a couple of early Fulltones (69 & Fulldrive) and an old Ibanez delay. Worked fine. That said, there are a handful of easily reversible mods which make it more flexible- presence control, mid control, tonestack bypass etc. These really aren't major surgery, assuming you can free up a couple of the existing chassis holes (the ground switch, extra speaker jack & second input on the Normal channel are all candidates).

6. bosstone

bosstone Member

I foolishly sold my 1964, 864 circuit Bassman head. Now everyone wants one.
    Its a great amp but it need pedals unless you can play loud.

7. PatrickMer10s

PatrickMer10s Member

I gig a '66 blackface bassman head, paired with an avatar 2X12 w/ celestions, g12h30 and a V30, mainly play with just OD, boost, delay. Covers a lot of basses, excellent clean tone, can push it with pedals and sounds great!

8. Rusty G.

Rusty G. Member

In the mid to late 70's (high school--I now, I'm old), I used to use a Bassman head into a 2 X 15 cab. I don't know if it sounded good or not really. . .Didn't have pedals then. . .just cranked that sucker.

9. zzmoore

zzmoore Member

This kind of made me chuckle. Although it might be the truest answer. If it is a good amp with good speakers, just turn it up and let the talent be heard. :cool:

10. hurtra

hurtra Member

the best sound in the world is a bassman head on 10 thru a 2 12 cab so i suggest you get a 4 ohm THD Hotplate, no effects needed...:bow

11. groovy daddy

groovy daddy Member

I've had a '66 Bassman for a long time-sounds better than ever. The old tubes never died (RCA 6l6, 7025, Mullard 12at7), but I replaced them with TAD 6l6 and JJ ec83's&12at7. You honestly can't make this thing sound bad no matter what tubes and speakers you use.

12. scott1568

scott1568 Member

Yes, get a Hotplate, it's worth every penny with this or any higher wattage tube amp. They need to be turned up.

13. lakesider

lakesider Member

I have a '62. Had 3 of 'em for a while.
    Probably my favorite single guitar amp ever.
    For me it wanted to be on 6 to be happy.
    Bassman on 6 was too loud for almost any gig I play.
    Still love the amp though.

14. m@2

m@2 Member

I use my 6G6 bassman piggy back (with the 15" cab) at about 5-6 gigs a year. Love it. perfect volume for most venues

[​IMG]

15. zzmoore

zzmoore Member

She's A Beaut' !!!
    If you ever want to sell that rig... :drool

16. Birdy

Birdy Member

My '66 and '67, 2x12 or 4x12 ala Hotplate :AOK:AOK

[​IMG]

17. Bo Faulkner

Bo Faulkner Member

I have a friend with a 65. one of the channels has been modded to where it is like a JTM45. Sweeeet sounding head. Robust gutsy Fender tones that is a fantastic platform for whatever you put in front of it

18. doctorx

doctorx Member

I have a 66 Blackface and two Silverfaces, a 68 and 69.

I use the BF to drive my leslie 16 and I run the Silverfaces into a stereo 2x12 with a stereo chorus and what ever flavor of overdrive I am currently using.

It's loud.

19. I'm Incinerator

I'm Incinerator Supporting Member

I've been a huge fan of the Blonde (6g6, 6g6-a,6g6-b) bassman for a while, though recently I've been on a quest to save to get one. After hearing a lot of recordings with one, I think they're an amp that could knock the Vox AC30 or AC15 off as my "ideal tone". Plus, what is better than a Gretsch through a blonde bassman?

20. erplander

erplander Member

I have a SF Bassman (ca. 1970) that has the Allen mod. Normal channel is the 864 circuit. Bass channel goes between plexi and tweed sounds via the Boost switch and has a MV. I know the OP specified no mods, but since my normal channel is still a classic Bassman circuit I replied anyway. I get great cleans keeping the normal channel volume between 2.5 and 4. Alittle higher and some really nice breakup starts happening. It sounds really great and takes all kinds of pedals well. I run it through a Germino 2x12 cab with ceramic Blue Dog/Silver Bell pair. For crunch I can add pedals to the Normal channel or switch to the plexi/tweed side. It's a really versatile amp.