Anybody use a Classic 30 as a clean pedal platform?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Jonderdonk, Mar 11, 2015.

1. Jonderdonk

Jonderdonk Member

So this might technically be the wrong place to post this thread, but I think I'd get the most insight in this section as opposed to the amps section...

So I've got a Classic 30 with a G12H30 speaker and it just doesn't sound that good to my ears with drive pedals. Does anyone have success with a Classic 30 in this way? And if so, how do you EQ the amp?

2. JokeSmuggler

JokeSmuggler Member

I have mine set on clean channel between 3-4 usually on stage so it's basically clean but will break up beautifully if pushed. EQ settings are all pretty low. It's not in front of me but I think it is bass 2, middle 3, treble 4. I have the stock speaker in mine and it is just below the edge of ice pick in the upper mids. All my drives are set with the tone knob very low as well to balance the upper mid content. If I had a better speaker, I imagine EQ setup would be easier but as long as it's getting the great sounds that it is, I'm not messing with it. :)

3. S. S. Bender

S. S. Bender Member

A former bandmate of mine has used that exact amp and speaker combination for years as a clean pedal platform. I've played well over 100 gigs with that amp sitting right next to mine on stage. He played a Fender Strat, and his only effects unit was a Digitech RP500.

I can't tell you how he set the EQ on the amp, or what he did to custom program the Digitech multi-effect. However, I can tell you this; He always sounded great. Everything from crystal clean spank to raging Marshall tones and all points between was always 100% spot on. I know he spent a good deal of time early on at home with the Digitech unit to dial in those sounds. This was all done out of necessity. Besides being one of the best rhythm and back-up lead guitar players I've ever worked with, he's also a killer sax player and lead vocalist. He used to have a board with approximately nine individual pedals on it, but the tap dance with that rig was too much to manage on stage along with his other performance responsibilities. The only former individual pedal he really missed was his Teese RMC wah.

After all that, I just thought of something that might actually help. I heard a Keeley Phat Mod Blues Driver in front of his amp once, and it sounded great.

4. JokeSmuggler

JokeSmuggler Member

Yeah, I would say it's all about getting your gear to work together. Most pedals sound good through it in my experience. Screamer types sound great, I've used the TS808 and Cusack Screamer. Klon is natural too, especially with its lower-mid placement. I also use a Lovepedal OD11 and a Barber Tone Pump EQ (my personal favorite and go-to drive). The only type I haven't been crazy about is Bluesbreaker-type, it had a fizzy decay with my setup.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2015
  5. Jonderdonk

Jonderdonk Member

Awesome, thank you guys so much!

6. vegetablejoe

vegetablejoe Member

The Classic 30 already has lots of mids - in fact they cannot be dialed out - so any gain pedal with other than a mid-humped eq may sound better through this amp to some people. I recall that at various times I've enjoyed playing a RAT, OCD, Timmy, KOT, VS Open Road, Screwdriver and various fuzz boxes through my Classic 30.

That said, I love tubescreamers and play various through my amp as well.

I've not tried a G12H30 speaker, but my Weber Blue Dog Ceramic has been a big improvement over the stock Marvel speaker. Much louder and clearer.

7. aproj

aproj Member

Sure, I've used the Classic 30 quite a bit as a clean pedal platform. I haven't gotten around to changing the stock speaker though. Anyway, I usually set the volume on the clean channel to something like 4 (which is near the verge of break-up), and use a TS9 for midgain-stuff with a little crunch. Works very well. When I need a bit more gain, I run the TS9 into a Proco RAT 2. It's a classic trick, sounds fantastic. I usually set the filter/tone/EQ so that I get a little bit more lower mids. I've actually used this setup on tour with great results.

Oh, I also use quite a bit lot of modulation and reverb/delay. Works great as well.