Anybody use Antiquity Humbuckers?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by davidkiddmusic, Feb 7, 2006.

1. davidkiddmusic

davidkiddmusic Member

Im debating upon buying either the Seymour Duncan Antiquity humbuckers or WCR Crossroads set for my Tokai ES335.

Anybody use the Antiquity's? Like 'em? Hate 'em? Why?

Thanks.

2. DRAGON523

DRAGON523 Member

I had Crossroads in my '04 R7, but it is currently loaded with Antiquities. I was looking for a classic rock sound. The bridge position CR was nice, but was a bit too bright, and didn't have quite the output I was looking for. But I could definately hear some of the PAF qualities. I didn't like the neck position CR at all. I don't know what it was, but I couldn't get a good sound out of it. If I had to guess, I would say that I didn't have the pickup close enough to the strings. I had the CR's in my LP for about a month or two.

The Antiquites sound much better in my opinion. I've had them in for about 9 months or so. The output is suited for Aerosmith/AC/DC/Free-type gain levels. The bridge position sounds awesome. Its got a nice amount of woodiness to it, but not so much that it sounds mushy on the lower strings. It sounds clear, has nice touch sensitivity(depending on your pick attack), and has some PAF character to it. The neck position is nice and warm. And like the bridge position, it has a nice touch sensitivity depending on the pick attack. It has a certain sweetness that I can't really describe.

I haven't had much playing time on 335's, but I would still recommend the Antiquities over the Crossroads.

3. Colt

Colt Member

YES! I LOVE mine in my PRS McCarty (indian rosewood neck, braz fretboard). Sound GREAT if you're going for a low output sound....I'm all about the vintage sound.

4. JeffD

JeffD Very slow but persistent Supporting Member

California Central Coast between LA and the Bay
    I have a pair that have been in my '99 PRS McBraz for a while. The neck pickup is everything I ever wanted for that tone. Just perfect. Bridge, to my ears, is just a bit bright and needs a little more output. Still thinking about what I might put there. Still a very good tone, however. Can't compare the to the WCRs as I've never had a chance to try those.

5. Roe

Roe Member

the antiquity bridge pu is good, but not for heavier ****. For that alnico 5 would be better.

6. Calloway

Calloway Supporting Member

I had a 336 that I put Antiquities in and it was probably the best sounding guitar I ever owned. I have an Antiquity bridge in my Les Paul Standard that is really cool, but in the neck I really wanted an Alnico 5 magnet, so I settled on a 59. These are really great pickups, and they just sound awesome in hollow/semi-hollow body guitars in my opinion. They also blend really well with other pickups if you combine them, much like I did with the 59.

7. Mayflower

Mayflower Silver Supporting Member

I put a pair in the PRS Singlecut.
    Couldn't be happier.
    I however don't play using high gain. I am not so sure if they would be so great for that situation.
    I can get them to feedback on a clean setting which is kinda cool.
    They are lower in output, with them not being potted they have a tendancy to give great harmonics.

8. Psychotronic

Psychotronic Member

I have an Antiquity in the bridge position in my '96 LP Standard, and it sounds great -- for classic rock tones. Anything heavier than that, and you'll need to go with something else, IMO.

9. procos

procos Supporting Member

In the Grouse woods or on the golf course
    I have them in my R8 Reissue and absolutely love them. I have finally found a Les Paul I love and I think the Antiquities have alot to do with it. Great pickups.

Chuck

10. Jon C

Jon C Silver Supporting Member

A pair of Antiquities turned my Les Paul Classic from a shrill ice pick into 50s Les Paul Tone Heaven. HUGE difference.

Much more subtle improvement when I replaced the Classic 57s in my R8 with Voodoos; they are also excellent but the 57s are a good pickup to start with so the difference was slight but noticeable. Whether it's worth the price is subjective to each individual.

But yes, so far among those I've tried, the Fralins, Voodoos & Antiquities all get high marks.

11. bluesbreaker59

bluesbreaker59 Supporting Member

I've had Antiquities in my Heritage 150CM for 3 years now, and they are IMHO, the best PAF type pickups available for a Les Paul. You really hear EVERYTHING that you're doing, right or wrong, which takes a little time to get used to, but in the end makes you a better player.

12. AlexF

AlexF Member

Its good to see pretty universal approval for these pups, it appears to be the same on other boards. Has anyone compared them side by side with Seth Lovers? The spec, apart from aged magnets looks pretty similar?
    Al

13. hacker

hacker Supporting Member

In the world of PAF clones, antiquities are the best for the money. I would never pay boutique prices for the PAF sound when the antiquites (or the Seth Lovers) sound so good.

14. Don L

Don L Member

I liked them when I had them in a les paul copy and a '99 R9.

15. Mayflower

Mayflower Silver Supporting Member

Oh Sh@t!
    I have Seth Lovers in there, not the Antiquities! Sorry.

16. Trandy

Trandy Supporting Member

I think the neck position Duncan Antiquity is the best of the PAF clones that I have heard. I have Antiquity neck humbuckers in three of my guitars...A customized Fender Telly, a Gibson ES-335, and a customized Gibson ES-333.

The bridge position Antiquity model was a little bright for me but I still would rate it as being mexcellent.

I just bought a Tom Holmes H456 humbucker from a forum member...so I guess I'm about to find out what the fuss is all about. :D

17. gearlovin

gearlovin Supporting Member

I've got a pair of antiquities in my 1959 Conversion Les Paul

cannot be happier

mine are a bit microphonic,,, i'll love them that way.....:JAM

thanks
    Carl

18. keith_t4e

keith_t4e Member

How about Virtual Vintage HOT. That is a pup I"ve been interested in. I love the 57 classci/classic + set up in my paul, but I have wondered if I should have gotten something hotter. I remember I used to have Dirty Fingers and Super Distortions and what not in all my guitars. You know. They didn't sound that bab either.

19. straightblues

straightblues Member

+1 I had the exact same experience.

I put my pickups into two different guitars a Gibson SG and a Hamer Artist. The Antiquities just sounded better than the Crossroads in each guitar. I sold my Crossroads. I have never heard anyone else say they didn't like the Crossroads but I sure didn't. I love the Antiquities they have that magic that few pickups today have.

20. Calloway

Calloway Supporting Member

I love Antiquities in a semi hollow guitar, they definately kick ass. I played in a harder blues/rock act and would use a 336 with them in it and it was great. Now if you like Seth Lovers you'll more than likely like Antiquities I would imagine, but I know a lot of hard rock guys who prefer something hotter and smoother.