Anybody use graphite saddles?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by StevenS, May 20, 2006.

1. StevenS

StevenS Member

I've been having a really hard time with my Wolfgang recently with strings breaking. One practice alone I went through 4 strings. They break during gigs also which is a real pain because it takes a while to change them. I've had it to 2 different techs who filed the saddles and while it did improve it some they're still breaking. Always at the bridge.
    Anyway the last guy I had it to suggested replacing the saddles with new graphite ones. He said they don't get burrs like metal and will improve the sustain somewhat. I like the guitar and don't really want to change it except to fix this problem.
    I think the name he used was Graph-tech. Anyone know anything about these? Will this fix my problem? They're not cheap so any input would be appreciated.

2. BluePowder

BluePowder Member

I just got them installed on my new music man Luke guitar.

I haven't broken a string since I got them on, maybe about 3 weeks now. Noticeable differences in tone, there's much more sustain now and a lot more midrange. The guitar sounds very punchy acoustically and even nicer amplified.

But it's a fine line between love and hate with graph-tech stuff.

Some people love them and others hate them to the core.

I'm very pleased with mine! :)

3. TwoGeez

TwoGeez Member

Yes, it's Graph-Tech --- they make saddles for just about most bridges these days. I have them installed on my Wilkinson and have had no problems with string breakage and haven't noticed much of a difference in tone... I'd encourage you to give them a try... Also, have you taken a look out how you have the spring tention on your bridge adjusted? This can make a big difference especially if you're using a Floyd.

4. ScottB

ScottB Gold Supporting Member

I put GraphTech saddles on my '83 Tokai Love Rock LS80.

It definitely has the longest string life of any of my guitars. The only other one that comes close is my 67 SG Special with a PRS-type wrap around bridge. There really doesn't seem to be a lot of point stress on that PRS bridge.

I don't have a hard tone comparison, since I swapped out p'ups about the same time I did the saddles on the Tokai, but it does sound pretty good. A little dark compared to my other LP's, but not really in a bad way, just different.

If you don't want to change saddles try some nut sauce. Works wonders!

5. apd

apd Member

The Graph-Tech saddles were already installed on a parts tele I bought from the emproium. Haven't broken a string yet.

6. NyteOwl

NyteOwl Member

I have GraphTechs on my guitars and can't remember the last time I broke a string.

7. BigDoug1053

BigDoug1053 Supporting Member

I put them on my 91 Gibson Country Gentleman - they have helped keep the guitar in tune with the Bigsby. In this particular bridge, though, you have to be careful not to lose them when you change strings.
    [​IMG]

8. TwoGeez

TwoGeez Member

Nice gitter....

9. Ben Furman

Ben Furman Member

I used them on a Carvin Bolt. Like the others say, the significantly change the tone (darker; more prominent midrange). For that particular instrument, it was a good thing! For others, YMMV.

10. Trandy

Trandy Supporting Member

For Fender-style guitars Graph Tech has some new saddles available called "Ferraglide". They keep you Strat or Telly looking a little more Fender-ish.

Same principle as the original except that the slippery stuff is only in the insert where the string lies. I put a set of these on one of my Telecasters and they are superb.

[​IMG]

11. plowkraut

plowkraut Member

Ordered Graph-techs on my USA Reverend years back. I only change strings when they get old, no breakage problems here.

12. LTE

LTE Member

I put a set on a Mex tele and it made it have more 'pop.' Sold it about a week after that. A country guy went nuts for that tele. Said it sounded great.

13. Mullet Kingdom

Mullet Kingdom Senior Member

I use them on my strat. I actually prefer the sound of steel saddles but string breakage was becoming a serious problem during gigs -- so I swapped out the stock E and B saddles for two Graph-Tech saddles.

In my experience, graphite saddles will develop grooves in them after about 6 months of constant gigging -- 3 to 5 nights a week -- and strings will be breaking at the saddle again, but not nearly as much as steel does.

Are they worth the $25 or $30 bucks? I think so.

14. neastguy

neastguy Supporting Member

I only break the G string on my LP custom 80... so I can just buy one for it if wanted... are they that easy to install?

15. david henman

david henman Member

...ditto!

-dh

16. alanfc

alanfc Member

whoa I love mine,,,, didn't want to hear this !

Is there any maintenance/remedy for this do you think,?
    thanks

17. Chris Rice

Chris Rice Member

Had a set on a '98 MIM tele with '71 USA neck. I hated them (sound/feel/looks).

18. The Golden Boy

The Golden Boy Member

I'll type this as often as I can.

Graph Tech's String Saver Saddles are the best $30 you'll ever spend on gear. EvAr.

I've changed out saddles on all my guitars. I haven't had a need to with any of my basses.

Aside from any string breaking issue... They reduced/removed tuning problems I didn't even know I had. I thought it was natural to have to tune between every single song. I've got a ham fist, so I figured I'm stretching the **** out of the strings. It turns out, they're binding at the saddles, not stretching.

If you've got tuning stability problems, Graph Tech saddles and some graphite/nut lube at your nut could save you a bundle of money and headaches.

19. Mullet Kingdom

Mullet Kingdom Senior Member

I've heard they can be buffed out, or what have you, with a rotory (sp?) tool but I've never tried it.

Don't sweat it, man. Even with groves warn in them, graphite saddles give far less breakage than steel saddles do.

I only have two graphite saddles (installed for the E and B strings) on my strat and the only time I break a string is if it's a crusty, old set with a couple of gigs and rehearsals on them and they're long over do to be changed -- or if it's hard to hear both the amp and the monitors on stage and I'm beating the strings extra hard.

20. alanfc

alanfc Member

OK thanks.
    I DO notice some grooves on the wound string saddles, in the shape of a string winding, is this what yer taling about? How about judicious use of an emery board or fine piece of folded sandpaper?