1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Anybody use mic splitters?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by planetal, Feb 23, 2005.

1. planetal

planetal Member

Hi,

I record some of the gigs my band does onto a Tascam DA38 during the gig. It's a good way to see how we sound over time and I've made OK demos (and CD's for friends/fans) this way. This has been working fairly well, as I get 8 discreet tracks of stuff and can download the 8 tracks to my pc (via an Aardvark Q10) and then mix everything with Cubase. We aren't looking to make a CD to sell, just stuff for demos and friends/fans/family and to keep for ourselves. Given the limitations of how we are doing this (8 channels is really not enough, 12 would be better, and there is bleed between the mics), most of the recordings have come out pretty well. Each successive recording has been much better than the last in terms of basic audio as I get better the more I do it and experiment with mics and mixing with Cubase.

One of the problems I have is the ability to split a mic signal (in our case normally 2 vocal mics, 1 guitar amp cab mic and 1 kick drum mic) between the mic preamp I use for the Tascam recorder and the A&H mic preamps we use for our PA. I don't take feeds from the A&H PA mixer as the direct outs are post fader and eq and I want the 8 channels into the tascam to be relatively pure.. As everyone knows, Eq for a live gig and Eq for a recording tend to be a very different and I really don't want any "effects" used in the Pa to be on the recording. I don't own the A&H, so I can't have it modified so that the direct outs are pre fade and eq. The guy who owns it wants it to remain stock.

My questions is... what do most of you use for mic splitters? I have some special XLR cables that do that, but they are problem prone (i.e. Can be noisy and VERY fussy) so now am looking to get passive boxes that have isolation transformers on at least one of the split outs. Money is definetly limited, although I dont want to get total junk either.

So my question is:

Are the Art splitter boxes ok or ar they junk? (they are about $25 per channel, the cheapest I've seen). Rolls makes something similiar.

Whirlwind makes a couple of different splitters, any one like those? The one that interests me the most is the one that looks like a stage floor box and can have from 6 to 24 channels with/without transformers and ground lifts)

There is also a Pro Co variant.. (4 channel rack for about 250)

Any input would be appreciated. All told I would need to split around 6 mics with none of the split mics requiring phantom power.

thanks for any suggestions
    Al

2. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

This is kind of a lame response because I don't use a mic splitter. But I just wanted to say that Rolls and ProCo generally make very good, reliable pro gear, so if they make a mic splitter it's probably not junk. I'm not as familiar with Whirlwind or Art.

You could probably order one from Sweetwater with an agreement that if you test it out and it doesn't do a good job you could return it for credit, assuming you keep it mint condition. I've arranged that with them many times.

3. GaryNattrass

GaryNattrass Member

Using transformer mic spliters is THE solution as it totally isolates the two feeds and you can ground lift individual channels.

It will load the feeds though and as most mics are lowimpedance feeding a high impedance then a straight XLR Y cord may be just as effective in fixed situations.

Have you also considered a Behringer ADA8000 mic pre amp?
    If your recorder can take a ADAT lightpipe then you can use the pre amp for up to 8 mics, it will then also feed 8 line outputs to your mixer for the PA mix.

4. bigroy

bigroy Member

About 15-16 years ago I had Conquest Sound build a 6 channel mic splitter. It's built into a snake stage box, with the first set of six outs direct pass thru, the second set transformer balanced. It is passive and requires no power.

Here's the big question, I have no idea how much it's worth, but I would tell you I haven't used it for 10-12 years.

Drop me an email and if we can work something out, I'll let you give it a whirl if you want to try it before you buy it. I'd be happy to send along a pic or two as well.

5. planetal

planetal Member

Thanks for all your replies.

I do own an ADA8000 and use it for the live mic preamps into the Tascam. The Tascam DA38 is an older straight line in, no intermal mixer, 8 track recorder. It requires separate preamp and gain controls for it's input. My unit is about 10 years old, but has low hours on the heads and does work out quiet well for live stuff.

Sadly you can't use the Ada8000 to split mic signals, as you can EITHER go digital out.. or analog out, you cant do both. For example, the mic for my guitar amp cab needs to be split to go 1. into the a&h pa mixer 2. into the ada8000. The a&h mixer then sends out a separate signal to another mixer we use for monitors (so I have guitar as well as my vocals in my monitors if i need it).

bigroy, I've sent you an email.. Maybe we can work something out.

Al

6. bigroy

bigroy Member

7. bigroy

bigroy Member

Al,

My email is down. Check your PM for tracking code.

Thanks!

8. planetal

planetal Member

Steve,

Thanks and will do

Al

9. planetal

planetal Member

Steve,

What a great transaction.. You are indeed a class act.

Thanks

Al

10. bigroy

bigroy Member

Glad it works for you. BTW, the outputs labeled with the small "t" are the transformer isolated ones, as I recall.

Enjoy!