Anybody use the BOSS standalone recording units???

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by ♫♪♫, Aug 18, 2008.

1. ♫♪♫

♫♪♫ Member

2. JS335

JS335 Member

I used to have a BR-1180CD. I actually upgraded to the Roland 2400 and wished I didn't. I think the BR units are great. Good sound quality, built in drums. Plenty of inputs for home recording. Built in eq, compressors and effects. Portability for recording live gigs. I liked mine. I'll probably be getting another BR unit at some point.

3. NB_Terry

NB_Terry Member

I have the Boss BR-600.

Love it, best $350 I've ever spent.

4. frankencat

frankencat Guitarded Gold Supporting Member

I use the Micro BR. I love it.

5. steven.rogers

steven.rogers Member

I had a Boss BR-864 and I really liked it. Very easy to use once you get the hand of it and produced great sounding recordings.

But I actually ended up selling it for a Zoom H2 because I wanted something more portable. It was a great unit, but just had too much stuff I didn't need. Still highly recommended.

6. DanR

DanR Member

I have the BR-8. I really don't use it anymore, as I picked up a used Korg D1600. Having said that, if I didn't need more than 8 tracks, I'd still be using the Boss. I was totally happy with it other than the track count. I had even upgraded the zip drive by replacing the 100MB with a 250MB.

7. ♫♪♫

♫♪♫ Member

were the mic preamps any good? That is the most important thing for me right now...i need strong, lots of power, good sounding preamps.

8. drive-south

drive-south Member

I use a Tascam DP01FX/CD which is in the same league as the Boss units. I've had mine since April and I've gotten good results from it. I got a real bargain on mine at $300 (brand new in the box). It's gonna take a lot to convince me I need to switch to PC-based recording.

The only thing I find a waste on this unit is the multi-efx. They are a joke.
    I've been looking at the new Tascam DP02 which is a completely new design with useable efx and a much better display. I may sell the DP01 to a friend and get the DP02. I think it would be worth the extra $200.

9. buellracer

buellracer Member

I've got a Boss Br-900 and I was completely new to recording when I bought it and have learned a lot with it. It's not the easiest thing in the world to use but the manual is pretty good and you can buy a dvd made by boss if you need more instruction (i didn't get the dvd and have been fine).
    For basic recording its VERY easy to use, I would say the mic pres are as good as anything out there under $200. I've gotten better results using those built in mic pres than many outboard units. The trick is to record with them set fairly low (you'd think it's not enough signal and no good) but when you mix the signal and bounce the tracks up the crap out of the volume with the excellent built in eq's and compressers. You don't even necessarily have to turn the effect up to its noticable, just use it for volume boost and you'll have excellent sounding recordings.
    I would say I'm very impressed with the 900 and I've had it for about 2 and a half years now. I really do like the portability and being able to take it to a friends house or band practice (then you can critically listen and find where you need to practice), so I agree that it'd take a lot to convince me that pc is the way to go.

10. kselbee

kselbee Member

+1!

11. drive-south

drive-south Member

I'm not too thrilled with the mic pre's on my Tascam DP01FX/CD. I ended up buying a pair of ART Tube-PACs to use with it. I'm getting much better results now when micing or recording bass direct through the TUBE PACs.

http://www.artproaudio.com/products.asp?type=79&cat=1&id=2

I record keyboards and drum machine direct and that works out great.
    For acoustic guitar I use an AKG C1000s and for vocals AKG C3000. They are not the most highly acclaimed mics out there but they work fine for me. I'm getting ready to record some slide guitar on my Dobro DM33 and I'll experiement with mic placement and settings before laying anything down.

drive-south

12. franksguitar

franksguitar Member

I have the Tascam DP01FX and tried recording live bands with it and any vibration locks it up and wouldn't allow me to open it. It's ok for home recorded tracks but my Korg D1600 is far better and run and connect the 2 machines optically as well as to my Marantz CD burner plus I use tube preamps. I also use analog 8 & 16 track reel To reel machines and dump to digital.

13. jtees4

jtees4 Member

I used to have a Boss BR8 which was my first foray into the digital world after years of reel to reel. It was great for a start. I now use my computer. About a month ago I bought a friend a BR532 (used) which is a 4 track digital...he was an old guy who hasn't recorded in years. He needed a lot of help, but the recordings sound good. I think th Boss stuff makes great recordings, and Boss has the advantage of the built in drums.

14. Old Fuzzface

Old Fuzzface Member

Another happy BR-600 owner here.

15. stump

stump Member

I've got a BR 1600 and love it. Works great for recording multiple instruments simultaneously due to 8 XLR inputs. The effects work nicely. The only weakness that I find are the amp models. The Bass amp models sound fine and the built in drums sound good as well. I also have the BR2 Micro for quick and very portable recording.

16. sfletch

sfletch Member

I had the BR8 - twice. First time, sold it and got the Korg D1600, didn't like it as much, sold that and bought another br8. I always said that if they ever came out with a 16 track br 8, I'd jump on it. By the time they came out with the br1600, though, I was already well absorbed in computer recording.

I miss my br8, though...some of the stuff I recorded on it was as good as anything I've done. If I could have exported the individual tracks as wav. files and mixed them in Cubase, it would pave been great.

It was kinda a last hurrah for recording with my "ears"....seems like these days, working on Cubase and Acid, and Reason, etc. I all too often use my eyes too much instead of just listening.

The Boss stuff is great, and I think integration with PCs has gotten better.

17. fuzzyguitars

fuzzyguitars Supporting Member

hey i got the same set up.

i recently added some outboard pre's

aea trp

presonus adl 600

18. IRG

IRG Member

This thread is of interest to me. I am close to purchasing a TASCAM DP-02cd although I thought about the Boss BR-900cd as well. Both seem good, the TASCAM is newer, and costs less, so I like that. Probably will use a SHure SM57 mic with it. Undecided about monitors.

Funny, I've contacted 3 vendors on ebay, but no one will return my messages about some basic questions I have (i.e. is the BR-900 they're selling a version 2 model)

Maybe they don't want my business?

19. ♫♪♫

♫♪♫ Member

Well the preamps in the Tascam are too weak by themselves. However, if you pick up a tube preamp (I got a behringer mic100 for 40$) the thing sounds amazing. You could get along without another separate preamp, but for my needs a preamp really helps. Otherwise, the Tascam is super easy to use from recording to mastering. The guitar amp models are not very good for my tastes, but the vocal effects are good. By the way, the build in reverb is very good.

20. Guitar Slinger6

Guitar Slinger6 Member

I have a BR1600, you can listen to my links below and hear some of the capabilities. I still have not mastered the mastering part of the unit.