Anybody use the Reflector 6n14n-EPs in their AC30?

GA20T

My last quad of el84s is toast (thought I still had a spare). Asking & shopping around for something different, it was suggested I try the NOS 6n14n-EP tubes. Just wondering if any of you AC owners have tried/use these and what your impressions are. The price is right for me to grab a few sets.

My current Vox is an AC30C2 that I run as warm as I can without getting into AC/DC territory: master full, top-boost channel vol. @ 1:00-3:00 o'clock, hot input with single coils. I've just been using the 3 quads I got in the sale until now (Ruby, EH junk etc.) but now is the time to upgrade and experiment a bit.

InAbsentia

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn
Silver Supporting Member
I don't have an AC30, but I've bought a few sets of these from Russia and the Ukraine and have tried them in my Bugera v5 and they sound phenomenal. Really nice crisp top end, good deep lows, and a punchy mid range. I'm a big fan of them, I tried them against a NOS Tesla EL84, Tungsram, EI, RCA, and a couple others, and currently, prefer the glassier 6N14N-EPs.

eigentone

Gold Supporting Member
My last quad of el84s is toast (thought I still had a spare). Asking & shopping around for something different, it was suggested I try the NOS 6n14n-EP tubes. Just wondering if any of you AC owners have tried/use these and what your impressions are. The price is right for me to grab a few sets.

My current Vox is an AC30C2 that I run as warm as I can without getting into AC/DC territory: master full, top-boost channel vol. @ 1:00-3:00 o'clock, hot input with single coils. I've just been using the 3 quads I got in the sale until now (Ruby, EH junk etc.) but now is the time to upgrade and experiment a bit.

Recommended. I use them in my AC30. I also use a Telam in my AC4.

The Tube Store has them on sale right now:

http://www.thetubestore.com/Tubes/EL84-6BQ5-Tube-Types/Preferred-Series-7189-Premium-EL84

No affiliation. I just buy a lot of power tubes from them. It's not always easy to buy, say, and octet of NOS EL84s (retaining your arms and legs).

^^That's exactly what I did, BTW. I'm quite happy with them. Good, rugged tube that sounds good to my ears. You may be able to find better sounding NOS EL84s, but they will probably set you back much more than $100/quad.

If I wanted raunch more than ruggedness, I'd consider something like the Telam.

But wait for the more experienced guys to comment. I've only had a handful of EL84 types in my amps in recent years.

eigentone

Gold Supporting Member
Do you find the 7189s or 6n14ns to have more clean headroom than regular EL-84s? Louder and longer clean to overdrive?

Honestly, I didn't A/B (after/before recordings at multiple levels). I think of them as having a nice tone, nice clear bass, but not a ton of richness/harmonics in the mids. An A/B could prove something else.

I did think of them as clean, compared to the more modern production tubes that came with these amps (AC30, Mesa LSS).

Later distortion is probably accurate, I figure.

The Tube Store has published reviews of many tubes, which may help.

They also have a long list of user reviews -- 90% of users are leaving 5 star ratings and all reviews are favorable. That's as good as any EL84/7189 they offer; TADs and Modern-Mullards also being well rated, though a different class from the Reflektors as TAD and Mullards are both modern, more affordable, not as rugged, and do not carry 6 month warranties.

Last edited:

WillLane

What I typically see suggested are the 6P14P-EV tubes. Not sure if there is a difference between them and the 6N14N. You can find them on ebay but they do ship from Russia and similar areas. I am also not sure if there are any compatibility issues with the 6P14P and a modern AC30 circuit.

eigentone

Gold Supporting Member
What I typically see suggested are the 6P14P-EV tubes. Not sure if there is a difference between them and the 6N14N. You can find them on ebay but they do ship from Russia and similar areas. I am also not sure if there are any compatibility issues with the 6P14P and a modern AC30 circuit.

AFAIK, it's just a difference in anglicisation from Cyrillic.

6П14П-EB

П is the Pe character.

Last edited:

sliberty

I don't have an AC30, but I have used these Russian tubes in a Trainwreck Rocket clone (quite similar to an AC30), and they sounded great. Considering how cost effective these tubes are, just get a set and see if you like them. If you don't, you have a set of beaters to use just in case. But I think you will like them.

Bluesful

Silver Supporting Member
I have a quad of 6P14P tubes (I think late 70's) I got from Russia in my AC30.

I like them very much.

gtone

I've put them in a couple of amps, sounded pretty good in both. Main reason I got them was for their claimed resistance to microphony and noise in general, which I'm happy to report they've lived up to.

GA20T

I've put them in a couple of amps, sounded pretty good in both. Main reason I got them was for their claimed resistance to microphony and noise in general, which I'm happy to report they've lived up to.

I hadn't actually read that (yet) but it was part of my thinking in going with something NOS. I've had some annoyances with this amp/these newer tubes I've been using (especially the EHs) re microphonics and audible mechanical rattles. Good to know. I'm going to order a couple sets.

eigentone

Gold Supporting Member
Another place to look would be KCA tubes. They sell those for a little cheaper.

My Cyrillic is rusty, but I believe Mike/KCAs price for the same tube is slightly higher during the sale I referenced.

KCA offers two 6П14П tubes; 6П14П-EB ($30/ea) and 6П14П-EP ($20/ea). The Tube Store is selling the 6П14П-EB. Borrowing TTS's description, the EB indicates:

E = Extended or long life (>5,000 hours)
V or B = Mechanically ruggedized for low microphonics and reliability

So the -EV aka -EB is the military/industrial grade tube. I like that because I am stuffing them into and AC30 combo, which can be hard on the tubes (vibration, low ventilation).

But I wouldn't hesitate to recommend KCA/Mike. I've never had a problem buying from him.

calfzilla

Cynical Hack
My Cyrillic is rusty, but I believe Mike/KCAs price for the same tube is slightly higher during the sale I referenced.

KCA offers two 6П14П tubes; 6П14П-EB ($30/ea) and 6П14П-EP ($20/ea). The Tube Store is selling the 6П14П-EB. Borrowing TTS's description, the EB indicates:

E = Extended or long life (>5,000 hours)
V or B = Mechanically ruggedized for low microphonics and reliability

So the -EV aka -EB is the military/industrial grade tube. I like that because I am stuffing them into and AC30 combo, which can be hard on the tubes (vibration, low ventilation).

But I wouldn't hesitate to recommend KCA/Mike. I've never had a problem buying from him.
Ah, my bad. I was running off of memory. I remembered he had $20 and $30 versions, just didn't remember which was which.

eigentone

Gold Supporting Member
Ah, my bad. I was running off of memory. I remembered he had $20 and $30 versions, just didn't remember which was which.

No no. It's good to have that info because Mike/KCA will be less expensive once the sale is over :beer

neteraser

My opinion differs on old Russian tubes. They do have details. But those details kinda have a Soviet Union mentality. I don't like it.

neteraser

That said, they might be more rugged than Mullard Reissues, which are some kind of a 6p14p-EV too, or so I've been told

Trending Topics

Top Bottom