Anybody use Vaseline in the nut?

My dad did this on his old flying V's, and I did it on my SG. After iffy tuning before, they all hold tune great. Anyone else use vaseline like lube? It doesn't affect tone whatsoever.

Nico.

I never used that, what do you mean it doesn't affect the tone? Why would it?

Peteyvee

Premium Platinum Member
Then again, you could just get the nut filed properly and not leave a mess...

ksandvik

Chapsticks work fine, too. Anything to make the nut slippery. Seems someone else posted the same thing seconds before me.

scolfax

Silver Supporting Member
Then again, you could just get the nut filed properly and not leave a mess...
+1. I tried Big Bends Nut Sauce for a while, but once I had the nut filed a bit I just didn't need it anymore.

I use teflon nuts now too. No issues.

mbargav

I used to use Vaseline, but now I use Big Bends Nut Sauce. Once you get past the incredibly juvenile name, it's a really good product.

Peteyvee

Premium Platinum Member
I heard some types of lube would make the guitar sound dampened....I think it was an industrial kinda lube, but a lube nonetheless....
No, lubes won't affect the tone at all.

But here's my 2 cents: Save up $20 (or whatever they charge) and take it to a luthier and get the nut filed correctly. Actually, my local guitar shop did mine for free as part of a setup on a Gibson Historic I bought somewhere else recently. A properly filed nut won't need any chapstick, graphite or alphabet jelly either...

SteveGaines

If you take your guitar to great setup man, you wouldn't have to put anything in the nut except the strings. Just my 2cents worth..

No, lubes won't affect the tone at all.

But here's my 2 cents: Save up $20 (or whatever they charge) and take it to a luthier and get the nut filed correctly. Actually, my local guitar shop did mine for free as part of a setup on a Gibson Historic I bought somewhere else recently. A properly filed nut won't need any chapstick, graphite or alphabet jelly either...
The other guitar player in my dad's band (early Accept-style metal) used this lube stuff.....

I'll see if filing can help...

Peteyvee

Premium Platinum Member
The other guitar player in my dad's band (early Accept-style metal) used this lube stuff.....

I'll see if filing can help...
It will help. You don't need that lube stuff. The issue is that the string(s) (hmm, let me guess...B and G, right?) bind while tuning and then slip when pressure is applied. Like when you bend a string tuned to pitch.

If you do it yourself and do it wrong, you'll need a new nut. It's best left to professionals or someone with experience. I've played for over 40 years and don't work on my guitars. If they're older V's or SG's (pre-1980 or so, maybe, pre '70, absolutely), a new nut will decrease the value...

Tone_Terrific

Silver Supporting Member
If lube works..use lube.
If you have nice nuts maybe you don't need it.
This is not in the big deal category.

Trending Topics