Anybody use WGS Liberator + WGS Invader together?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by jfwund, Jan 30, 2012.

1. jfwund

jfwund Member

Got a new speaker cabinet, loaded w/ Celestion V30s. Played for an hour or so and couldn't dial out the harsh upper end. It was actually making my LP + Mesa sound thin!

I like the sound of these 2 speakers on the WGS clips, they sound warmer and fuller than the v30s. The cab is a Mesa ElectraDyne, which has an oval open back (really a 3/4 back), and the speakers are soldered in, so any change I make is a fairly sizeable undertaking given my standards of handiness.

Will the WGS speakers make a significant difference in tone? Will it pull back on the ice-picky highs of the v30? Or will this combination not make much difference at all?

2. 11justin22

11justin22 Member

Haven't tried the speakers but instead of soldering put ends on the wire and be done with the soldering, much easier.

3. flcmcya

flcmcya Silver Supporting Member

I want to...I have Reapers with GB's F'n Killer :p

4. gtr37

gtr37 Member

The Retro 30 is killer too if you want to retain some of that V30

5. spkrbldr

spkrbldr Member

I don't think I've heard the Liberator/Invader mix yet. But I bet the Retro 30/ Liberator mix would sound huge in that cab. By the way, I am putting together the final prototypes for the "H" version of the Liberator to be released in the near future... Dean

6. gtr37

gtr37 Member

Hey Dean .Intrested in the Invaders

What would match up well with one of those in a 212 ?

would a Retro 30 do it ?

7. jfwund

jfwund Member

Thanks to Dean and to everyone who responded. I ordered an Invader and a Reaper 50 for my Mesa cab. 11justin22 (or anyone else), where would I get clips for the wires so I wouldn't have to solder? I looked online but didn't find anything specifically for guitar speakers. What's involved in installing them?

Looking forward to hearing this combo of speakers...

8. Gclef

Gclef Member

Radio shack
    Ask for spade connectors to speakers

9. spkrbldr

spkrbldr Member

If I have some connectors I will make you up some and throw them in the box. If not,Radio Shack will have what you need. Gtr37, I have a friend who's been using a Vet 30/Green Beret combo the last couple of years that sounds great. We've been talking about changing to the Retro/Invader but haven't yet. I think it will be a good mix, the Retro and Invader are both right at 100db so a little more energy than the Vet/GB. they seem to have a little more clarity or crispness to them also. Dean

10. tcforec

tcforec Member

I have an Invader and a Scumback H75 in a 2x12 Fuchs cab (4 ohm load for an old Bassman head) that sounds great. I previously had a Reaper and Green Beret in it @8ohms and it sounded fabulous too.

11. 11justin22

11justin22 Member

Just strip the wire back a little and crimp the end on with a pair of crimpers(u can use needle nose pliers) and you are ready to go.

12. freaksho

freaksho Member

i think spade connectors are the fork shaped kind (for screw terminals). the ones you want are more commonly called speaker 'quick disconnects'. this phrase brings up a good number Google hits for the right ones (including Radio Shack and Amazon).

13. spkrbldr

spkrbldr Member

I stuck some in your order today. You should be good to go for the weekend maybe. Dean

14. sabby

sabby Member

An Invader alongside a Liberator? I'd expect them to fight each other.

:rimshot

:hide

15. johnfv

johnfv Member

I have the Liberator and ET65 in a 1936 cab and it sounds great.

16. jfwund

jfwund Member

Thanks Dean! This has been one of the best gear-buying experiences I've had. I appreciate your recommendations and your help, and after I've played the speakers in a bit I will definitely post a full review here and on MLP. If WGS' customer service is any indication of the quality of the speaker (and by all accounts it is) then I'll simply be blown away. And speaking of blown away, UPS says they will deliver the speakers tomorrow (!) which is great, since the wife has a girls' night out to celebrate a co-workers birthday. I'm going to swap in new speakers, turn up the Mesa, and frighten our cats!

Thanks again!

17. spkrbldr

spkrbldr Member

No problem, glad we could help! Hopefully the brown truck will come thru for you problem free tomorrow.Hope they get you where you want to be! Dean

18. strattitude

strattitude Member

That Liberator with a H magnet sounds very promising! I'll have to try that when it's released!

I like the et65 but sometimes wish for a tighter lowend and a tad more mids, maybe the Liberator H will do that!?

19. spkrbldr

spkrbldr Member

Yes, that is the plan. A little more of everything across the spectrum. Kinda like the difference between the Vet 30 and Retro 30. Dean