Anybody using a Blue Encore 200 or 300 in the studio?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by thewestwon, Apr 3, 2015.

1. thewestwon

thewestwon Member

Saw sweetwater is selling the encore series BOGO, and both the 200 and 300 get some solid reviews online. However, there's not much info on people using them in the studio.

I was thinking the 300 would be a good choice for tracking vocals and guitar simultaneously and the 200 gets compared to a fantastic sounding sm57 a lot, which might be nice for some drum and amp variety.

I have a decent mic collection already, so these wouldn't be core items, but I thought they might be nice to add variety. I just hate to spend $350 on two of each on a whim without somebody encouraging me, haha.

2. rickenbackerkid

rickenbackerkid Member

You have good mics? Don’t get them. use what you have. They are nothing special.

3. ncyankee

ncyankee Member

This

I had the 100 and 200. 100 went back instantly and 200 sold shortly after on CL. I prefer the sm57 as the Encore was overly bright to me.

I am a big 57 fan, though (for cabinets).

4. thewestwon

thewestwon Member

10-4. That's kind of what I figured, but couldnt get a good feel from other things I'd read. I know a lot of higher end blue mica get good reviews, but at the price point (given the rest of their lineup), figured they weren't too special.

Good sales always get me excited, haha.

I normally hit cabs with a 57 or cascade fathead ii's.

5. rickenbackerkid

rickenbackerkid Member

Yeah, well both of those are much better mics than the blues. most of the low end blue mics are pretty average, IMO. Expensive Blue stuff is killer though.

6. Bassomatic

Bassomatic Silver Supporting Member

The best value low end Blue mic I've encountered is the Bluebird, which is pretty great. Much better than the Baby Bottle, for example.

7. thewestwon

thewestwon Member

I've been about to buy a bluebird many times. I've heard some great takes with them. I use a Lewitt LCT 840 for most of the work the bluebird would see, so I don't know how often I'd actually use it.

They definitely have the aesthetics going for them...love the look.